Blu-Ray question

Coytee

If I can ever get the post office or now, UPS to deliver a check to Dean, I'm going to buy his BluRay player.

Now I have a question about blue ray dvd's as I don't have any....

Is all the "wow" about them on the visual side? Would/should they SOUND better too??

Here's why I ask...

I'm looking at some Blu-Ray dvd's on Amazon and see some B/R disks where I already have the 'regular' dvd. Take David Gilmours Live at Albert Hall concert. Already a fantastic looking show, I can't imagine it looking even better but will accept that it's supposed to if on B/R.

Now I'm wondering, is it worth buying the B/R version of that disk "just because" it's supposed to look better? Will it also sound better or since I already have that disk (and it looks great), should I put those dollars towards acquiring a different B/R disk instead of repeating a disk I already have?

If blu ray is an increase in visuals AND sound I don't mind a repeat purchase. If however, it's only on the visual side then maybe I'll not duplicate.

"Is all the "wow" about them on the visual side? Would/should they SOUND better too??"

Both,
making the assumption that you get access to the high resolution
soundtracks available on BR. To do so you need to use either HDMI (with
audio to a compatible pre/pro or receiver) or using multichannel analog
connections from the player. If using analog from the player the player
needs to be able to decode the high resolution audio tracks and pass
that to its analog outputs, not all player can do this.

If
using HDMI to transmit the audio either the player needs to perform the
decoding or it needs to be able to pass bitstream to the pre/pro or
receiver which needs to be able to perform the decoding.

" I can't imagine it looking even better but will accept that it's supposed to if on B/R."

If you have a HD compatible display it will.

Shawn

making the assumption that you get access to the high resolution soundtracks available on BR. To do so you need to use either HDMI (with audio to a compatible pre/pro or receiver)

Ok, so since I'd currently be heading into a Peach, this knocks out the HDMI part

I will be going into a Sony WEGA HD tv which has HDMI inputs

I don't know anything about this player (perhaps if Dean sees this he can comment..... )

If the player DOES have a fancy internal decoder (with analog outputs) then it might work for the sound too?

I will be going into a Sony WEGA HD tv which has HDMI inputs.

Go HDMI to the HDTV. If you have audio outs from the TV, then go that route to your pre amp!

Visually if you have 1080p you might see a better picture.

Audio wise, your not gonna get all of the formats. But I might argue it might not be the NIRVANA u think it is?

Go HDMI to the HDTV. If you have audio outs from the TV, then go that route to your pre amp!

Visually if you have 1080p you might see a better picture.

Audio wise, your not gonna get all of the formats. But I might argue it might not be the NIRVANA u think it is?

I don't know about other TVs, but mine won't transmit any audio coming in through HDMI out its audio outs.

Personally I notice a huge difference on discs that are the newest lossless HD formats for audio. If a disc is encoded with DD+ or a DTS variation to me it sounds somewhat similar to the regular DVD version.

Picture quality is another story. I've watched many older movies that are released on Blu-Ray and its crazy how they've cleaned up the picture. Close Encounters of the Third Kind looks like it was filmed only a few years ago.

The hd sound of blue ray is almost a bigger for me than the better hd picture. There are inexpensive ($350onkyo) recievers that will capture the hd sound from the hdmi connection and pass throught the hd picture via hdmi or component to your tv. It is worth it.

If the Panasonic player decodes the new hi-rez audio formats internally, they are probably only going to be output on HDMI, due to copy protection concerns.

Most players that have internal decoders and multichannel analog outputs also output the decoded high resolution soundtracks over analog as well. There are one or two that don't do this though.

Shawn

Most players that have internal decoders and multichannel analog outputs also output the decoded high resolution soundtracks over analog as well. There are one or two that don't do this though.

I think the PS3 is one that does't and it may be the most popular right now. I have a PS3 and as I understand it, HDMI out is the only way for HD sound for me.

I was using a PS3 for awhile as a Blu-Ray and cd player. With the optical outs and analog outs as you say there is no HD audio. You have to go buy a receiver that accepts the HDMI. Now of course my plasma has the HDMI inputs which makes it great for the tv.

For 2 channel I like my preamp and I find more of what I hear is a result of which preamp I am using. Giving me the greatest flavor so to speak. The PS3 is absolutley horrid for cd playback alone. It is bright, treble is very hot and very weak bass performance. Now if I wanted to use some cheap processor as a preamp then it would just be great for 2 channel but the way I see it right now its really only good for either DVD videos or movies in HD.

I really choose my equipment due to the sound it gives me. I'm not choosing the format and just taking whatever else comes with it.

The PS3 does make a great Blu-Ray player though!

I think the PS3 is one that does't and it may be the most popular right now. I have a PS3 and as I understand it, HDMI out is the only way for HD sound for me.

It's a real shame that it doesn't.

I am pretty sure that answers your initial question Coytee in regards to the Peach.

Greetings,

I found some interest in this thread, as I don't own a BR, but I'm looking. My concern has been the audio formats.

Does ones receiver, pre-amp/processor need to have the ability to decode the new formats, or does the BR player do all the decoding and pass it to the receiver,pre/processor through the anolog in/outs? I've looked at alot of high end processors and none of them decode the new audio formats. Can someone who has a BR and is able to use and decode all the audio formats, shed some insight for me?

Thanks...........Scott

"Does ones receiver, pre-amp/processor need to have the ability to
decode the new formats, or does the BR player do all the decoding and
pass it to the receiver,pre/processor through the anolog in/outs? "

Some players offer the decoding for the analog outputs, and as LPCM over HDMI, but not all do.

Shawn