KSB 1.1 for HT speakers?

compucrawf

I am just getting into HT and I would like someone's advice who has more experience with these speakers. I have just seen the KSB 1.1 on ubid for a pretty good price and I was considering getting them for my front and surround speakers. I would probably get the matching center channel (kscc1)later. How would these sound if they were hooked up to a decent receiver (I just bought an Onkyo TXDS595)? Also, what is a good sub that would go with this setup?

I've been using KSB 1.1 as rears for a couple years, KSC C1 front, and a very similar receiver, Integra DTR-5 (essentially the TX-DS575 w/ upgraded inputs..), KSF 8.5 fronts, and Mirage sub.

These work well as rears, and would probably do okay as fronts on a budget if you got a decent sub as well. BTW, originally had 3.1s as fronts, w/ very good results..

This message has been edited by Bulldawg on 01-28-2002 at 03:12 PM

spring for the KSB 3.1 or the SB 3's. you wont be sorry. i have the 3.1's and love them. i still need a sub, but no complaints. ive seen the 3.1/3's for under half retail on e-bay every once and a while. save up and grab a pair.

for surrounds, i would think that the 1.1's would work reasonibly well. i like the three-sided speaker design(sorry, i dont remember the technical name). the sound you hear from them is harder to pinpoint instead of going "hey the speaker is right... there" sound you ger from "normal" speakers.

as far as a sub. ive been researching that here and have found that most people would suggest the KSW-12 over the -10, but there are people who know a heck of a lot more about subs than me. there's even some older 8-inch subs floating around out there and it was suggested to me to grab two of them if i could. who knows?

in my opinion, i think the 1.1's would be great speakers for a bedroom or kitchen or something... or a nice little HT setup for a small apartment. although i have never heard the 1.1's, i did demo the 2.1's and 3.1's. there was a huge difference between the two models and i went with the bigger ones. havent been sorry.

----------------

Denon 1601

KSB 3.1 Front

KSC-C1 Center

KSF-S5 Surround

The 1.1s are definitly an upgrade over the Quintets, check out the specs on Klipsch.com. If you're on a shoestring budget and can't afford or want larger speakers, the 1.1s may be the way to go. The 1.1s are currently being auctioned on uBid.com for $39 each in pairs. The matching KSC-C1 is also being auctioned for $99 on uBid.com which is the only authorized Klipsch dealer on the web. Good luck.

One other thing that you might be interested in if you do get the 1.1s. I found the Vogel Sat-5 wall mounting brackets for them at yawaonline.com for $32.99 per pair. Check them out.

This message has been edited by fpfeifer on 02-01-2002 at 12:53 AM

Thanks for the information on the mounting brackets. I was unsure how to mount them in the configuration I have in my living room...oops, sorry...home theater.

I went ahead and bought the 1.1's from ubid. I figure I can upgrade later and take the front 1.1's and make them my side speakers in my 7.1 system. I think I have about 6 months until I blow all my money again since I'm such a freaking addict on my ht now.