Help a beginner: RF-3 II vs. RF-35

madness

Hi All,

New to HT and all I've known are my old KSF 8.5's. I have an opportunity to get either the RF-3 II or RF-35 for a great price and I was hoping to get some opinions on which is better. My listening space is not that large, about 12ft x 14ft. All things being equal, which one would you choose? Why?

Also, I'm hoping to finish off my setup and would like to know if the RC-64 is compatible with these fronts? I've heard this is an awesome center but would it work with the older fronts I'll be getting? Would the RC-62 be a better choice? Go and match my fronts with an RC-3 II / RC-35?

Yeah you can see I need alot of help here :-P Thanks in advance!

Max

RF-3s (II) are highly regarded and the newer Synergy F-3s are supposed to sound very much like them...I can't speake much to RF-35s but when I started looking for Home Theater speakers and the Synergy F-3s were brand new...I preferred them sonically over the RF-35s...I did not do a full on comparison...just listening to the same things at two different stores...good luck...I bet you can't go wrong with either...

Bill

Thank you for the response silversport. I've also heard many good things about the RF-3 II but do not have the expertise to test one speaker against the next. I think I will go for the RF-3 II =)

Could you give me advice regarding the center? I know the center is the most important and I would like to get a nice one but am afraid that getting such a different model will ruin the experience. Should I get the matching center RC-3 II or go for the gold and get the RC-64? I cannot afford to upgrade everything and the center will be the highlight of my system.

s'funny you ask me about timber matching when I just postred something about my own continual journey in Home Theater...as Frzninvt told me over four years ago and is oh so correct...timber matching/voice matching is VERY important...an RF-3 II as Center would be the perfect match but more difficult to place...'cuz it's bigger...an RC-3 II is the designed match made for your RF-3IIs as the dedicated Center channel speake...an RC-64 is not a match and I believe you should not get one of those...

My own Home Theater is Heritage speakers and I have tried both Heresys for mains with a third Heresy (the best sound but a larger speaker) and Quartets with an Academy for Center...a very nice match (kind of the designed match) but not quite the equal of three Heresys...it is easier to place an Academy Center than a third Heresy however...

Isn't this hobby fun!...now go get that RC-3II if you can find one...if not, I bet the C-3 from the current Synergy line would be close as it is designed to match up to the Synergy F-3s and the F-3s are said to be near equals (but less pretty) to the Reference RF-3s...

Good Luck!

Bill

I still had my RF-3's when I purchased my RC-7 and it sounded great! I did calibrate everything with a SPL meter and the avia disc and was amazed at how it sounded with the RF-3's. I was afraid the RC-7 was going to overpower my mains but that was not the case. Before I bought the RC-7 I was using an RC-35. It just didn't sound clear and seemed to struggle at louder volumes. Hooked the RC-7 up and night and day difference... If you can find a RC-7, I say get it. You will not regret it.

This is a great community, so many informative responses!

That is an awesome price for the RC-3 II, dangit wish I could get my hands on that.

So I'll just see what is available on CL and ebay for now. I'll be looking for all the speakers that have been

recommended.

I plan on getting some bookshelves as rears so I guess the same applies.

Thank you everyone! I hope to get a badass setup one day and make everyone proud.

Edit: Am I suppose to use the RS for a 5.1 system? or use a bookshelf speaker?

Max

RF 35's hands down. The F 3's have an aluminum tweeter where as the 35's have a titanium tweeter, which to my ears boils down to the 35's sounding smoother and sweeter. F3's presented a more hollow sound to me, though they are not bad for what you pay for - it still is Klipsch and best in class.

Couple either set with a stout amp and you will be in business for a long time to come.