Well, looks like I got a place to check out vintage films now!

skonopa

Just west of here along Rt 3, the Library of Congress built a new Audio/Video Conservation Center, to the tune of $250 million dollars (so THAT is what that huge building I saw being built into the side of the hill for the past couple of years out that way is!)

Part of the facility will include the 208-seat "Mount Pony Theater", which is supposed to be a recreation of the old "Movie Palaces" of yore, and they plan on showing vintage films on a pretty daily basis. Here is an article in the local paper about it.

I may have to go over there on Saturday to check out "The Wizard of Oz". I see a few other films that I may have to go check out that are listed, such as "All Quiet on the Western Front", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and "High Noon". Of course, there are other classics being screened, such as "The Maltese Falcon", "Gone with the Wind", "Singin in the Rain", "King Kong", and "Morroco", amonst many others. On top of that, these are FREE (although reservations are highly recommended)! Will be pretty neat to see some of these old films the way they are meant to be seen.

If anybody is relatively close to the Fredericksburg or Culpeper areas, this may be worth checking out, especially if you are a real film buff.

Steve,

If you're hankerin' for some art, see if they're showing anything by Brakhage, Kubelka, Jonas Mekas or James Broughton. Caution: Your mind might get blown!!

It seems they are planning on showing films that are in the Library of Congress' National Film Registry. So unless any of thier works are in the NFR, it is unlikely they will be seen at this new facility. But hey, friggan Star Wars and Back to the Future are in the NRF, so hopefully they will get shown! [H][~]

Steve,

I poked around that list (it's pretty long!) and saw at least one film by Stan Brakhage, "Dog Star Man." Here's a little interview from 2001 I think you might find interesting.

I just took a look at the upcoming schedule in the article you linked to. Wow! All free? It sounds like a kick! I'd try and be there every night...

Steve,

I poked around that list (it's pretty long!) and saw at least one film by Stan Brakhage, "Dog Star Man." Here's a little interview from 2001 I think you might find interesting.

I've went and read that - sounds very interesting. If they show that film, I'll have to head over there and check it out.

I just took a look at the upcoming schedule in the article you linked to. Wow! All free? It sounds like a kick! I'd try and be there every night...

Yeah, there are some pretty nice films being shown, and yes, all free (our taxpayer money hard at work! [:S]).

There are a number of films I'll have to try to head over there to check out. It is a little bit of a hike to get over there from here (some 30 odd miles out west towards the mountains - I drive right by it when I head up to the ski resort where I ski patrol at - may have to catch a movie on they way out some of those Friday evenings), but can easily get there within 1/2 hour or so drive, plus there is not much traffic out that way once I get out of the immediate Fredericksburg area (not like trying to drive up north into D.C. [:P], like I have to do when I want to go see my heavy metal concerts).

Like I said, I'll have to try it out with The Wizard of Oz this Saturday. I'll have to report back here on how it went. I'll see if I can also get pictures of the theater itself. It is not opened yet, as this Thursday (tomorrow evening) will be the inaugral showing, with The Maltese Falcon as the film of choice.