Broken Heresy II Tweeter?

streyle

I just received a pair of Heresy IIs today via UPS and I noticed that one of the tweeters wasn't functioning properly. How can I test this to check to see if it is an issue with wiring or a faulty tweeter?

The back panel isn't screwed in on this and instead glued I gues...I unscrewed the panel where the binding posts were to briefly examine it, but it was hard to pull the cross over out that way.

The Heresy II tweeter can be removed from the front. Just take out the screws holding the horn in place. Then you can remove the tweeter far enough to reach the wires connected to the tweeter and unplug them from the tweeter. If you have a meter, you can measure resistance on the tweeter terminals after the wires are disconnected. Should read about 8 ohms. If you don't have a meter, you can use a 1.5 volt battery to apply a voltage briefly to the tweeter. You should hear a "pop" from the tweeter as the connection to the battery is made. You could also, swap the tweeter with the one that works to see if the problem follows the tweeter. If it turns out both are good, you would need to remove the crossover by disconnecting the wires from all three drivers then remove the crossover from the back. You would then be looking for a broken wire or another part loose. A common problem with these speakers is that during shipping, the heavy autotransformer may just break off the plastic input terminal cup. It can then just hang by it's wires and really trash the entire crossover.

You are most likely though to find that the tweeter that is not working has a bad diaphragm. That is an easy fix by just replacing the diaphragm.

Bob Crites

I just received a pair of Heresy IIs today via UPS and I noticed that one of the tweeters wasn't functioning properly. How can I test this to check to see if it is an issue with wiring or a faulty tweeter?

The back panel isn't screwed in on this  and instead glued I gues...I unscrewed the panel where the binding posts were to briefly examine it, but it was hard to pull the cross over out that way.

I put a pair of Bob's titanium diaphrams in my Heresy II's and was very pleased with the results smoother and cleaner highs.[:o]

................I put a pair of Bob's titanium diaphrams in my Heresy II's and was very pleased with the results smoother and cleaner highs.Surprise

I too have repaired a set of Heresy II tweeters (KP-201) using Bob's Ti diaphrams and can also highly recommend them .... very easy do at home fix.