KLF-30 questions

Bonzo

I just picked up a mint pair of KLF-30's from a fellow member. They have been in the boxes since they were new, at least that is what the "Good Guys" told the buyer when he purchased them. One speaker works pefectly. Both woffers on the other speaker have issues. It sounds like both voice coils are rubbing and they are making very distorted sounds. The tweeter is also not functioning. Oh, they have consecutive serial numbers. Any clue how this could have happened to one speaker and not the other? They both appear to be in identical physical conditon and are as new in appearance. Does anyone know if the binding posts on this model had caps covering the holes that accept bananna plugs? If so, they are missing which may be a clue, provided they came with them in the first place. I am wondering if they were maybe dealer demos or???

Bonzo:

I just checked my KLF-30's and they do not have caps, but they have inserts in all the binding posts.

As for the woofer issues, the only thing I can suggest is to make sure nothing has come loose. Is there any indication that something is rolling around in or against the cabinet?

JJ

Hi DoubleJ,

Nothing rolling around inside. I'm certain it's the voice coils. I can hear them rubbing when the cone is pushed in and out. Would the inserts prevent a bananna jack from being plugged into the binding posts unless the inserts were removed?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark:

Yes. You would have to remove the rubber inserts in order to utilize banana plugs.

I tried pulling one out with just my fingers and they are in pretty tight so it would take a lot to have them just fall out.

Just for the record, all my RF-3 series (RS-3, RC-3, and RF-3's) have a hard plastic cap covering the binding posts instead of the rubber inserts the KLF 30's have.

Hopefully someone else will chime in regarding the woofers, but the audible sound of rubbing voice coils pretty much rules out a lot of potential problems.

JJ

Hi Chris,

This particular driver has rubber surrounds. I have been told by a very reliable source that there is no re-cone kit available. Klipsch does still use this woofer in the Jubilee so I should be able to get a replacement. One of the reasons I'm going away from older JBL's is that damn foam! To have them fixed correctly, they should be sent to an authorized JBL tech. When you consider packing and shipping costs, it can get very expensive. Also, the vintage JBL parts are getting harder and harder to find. If I need a diaphragm or part for a Klipsch speaker, I just give BEC a yell. All that said, I am keeping my L100's for the garage and my trusty L1's for the shop. They aint' pretty but they sure sound good.

Mark

All that said, I am keeping my L100's for the garage and my trusty L1's for the shop. They aint' pretty but they sure sound good.

[Y] I still love my JBLs, and have an upgrade or two in mind for my 4311s.

I think that the caps on the banana plugs was to prevent someone in certain foreign countries plugging then into the wall with 250 volts going to them. Even though it would be the reverse, people do strange things.

Bruce

If the push test gives a scraping sound, they're toast unfortunately. The final test would be to run a frequency sweep over them, this will isolate the frequency(s) that they rattle at, confirming burnt voice coils.

Call Klipsch Parts, replacements for bona fide Klipsch owners are available. Recone not an option.

If you bought these as NIB, you could have an issue to bring up to the seller.

Mssr Marvel is quite correct about the banana jack plugs. We would not want 220V a/c run through our Klipsch would we?

Were these shipped to you?

Sometimes if a speaker carton takes a very hard direct jolt (unloaded hard from truck onto ground), the carton and cabinet may be undamaged. However the interior of a speaker can suffer magnet shifts (seizing the vc), horns snapped off, woofer baskets distorted.

Examine a woofer closely does it appear as though there is some kind of shock damage to it? If so, and it was shipped, shipper dropped the box causing damage not apparent during initial inspection to the consignee (you).

yes, if the plastic banana jack plugs were missing, I'd bet that someone plugged them in. Are you seeing red yet?