Any pros still using klipsch lascala ect.speakers in there live rigs?

khorn51

"I was just wondering if anyone knows of any pros doing live sound full time that use klipsch."

Actually no.

Seems like it's still JBL for the big stuff and Marshall for the small stuff.

Marshall? PA?

Maybe you were thinking Mackie?

I get a lot of calls from DJ's and small bands using mostly the earlier stuff like KP 2002 or KP250, and guys using later gear like KP682/KP362 (very similar to the 'standard' JBL rock and roll band rig). Don't hear much from people with LSI although they were used in dance clubs, roller rinks, and portable PA setups in the 80's a lot. I'm sure there are still some bands hauling around well-worn LaScalas and VOTT cabinets in ramshackle vans all over the USofA.

In my early days, I worked for Calliope Sound (now Indy Pro Audio) who owned both LSI's and MCMs. We used the MCM for large concerts in the parks around Indy and double stacked split LSI's biamped with Crowns DC300's for my portable party rig. I also recall hanging 4 LaScala bins surround the stage in a gentleman's club (Dick's Harem House for those in the know around Indy). Sadly that landmark burned to the ground a few years later.

I spoke with a sound contractor in Switzerland some months ago. He had more Pro Klipsch than I do and was selling it all because they had moved to TurboSound. The fuel prices for the large heavy Klipsch Pro were eating him up in Europe. He had a really nice collection of gear and had toured constantly with it for decades.

Michael

There is a lot of data on the Klipsch website. Click the 'batman' Klipsch logo at the top left of this page. When the Main Klipsch site comes up, type KP in the search field. This will bring up the Klipsch Portable speakers which is what you're looking for. It will also any current models of the KPT Klipsch Professional Theater line. Search KI for Klipsch Installed speakers, which are usually a bit different than their Portable counterparts in terms of mounting hardware and sometimes input jacks.

For PA stuff, you'll be looking for numbers like: KP 262, KP 362, KP 2002, KP 3002,

Smaller 'speaker on a stick' have numbers like KP201, KP250, KP 320

There are some stage monitors numbered KSM1 and 2 and KSM 12 and 15

Subs for portable and house PA will be: KP 682, KP 4000, KP480, KP 115

For more info call 1-800-554-7724 or write to Support@Klipsch.com- the tech guys have all the spec sheets.

Most pro concerts these days are on Meyer, Turbosound, JBL, or others. Not many Klipsch systems. For one thing there was only one flyable system developed, the KP600. The MCM is very bulky compared to today's newer speakers. The price of amplification has dropped steeply and this may have had an effect on the size of speakers that contractors are willing to transport.

Check Soundbroker.com to see what's being bought and sold on the used marketplace today.

The JBL line arrays are pretty amazing, and help cover a large area evenly. They will empty the wallet quickly, though. I have a set of Yamahas with a 15 and compression driver horn for the top end. They weigh about a 100lbs, and only hadnle about 50-75 watts. Just too heavy to haul around.

Bruce

Lascalas Are small and light compapred to my old eaw 2 15 bass bins (about 4 x the size of split lascal bass box). I have caryed the eaw by my self kind like lifting a pool table..I was just wondering if there were any Vintage horn loaded Pa's being used by pros anywere, i just think they sound so much more a live and punchy than the modern line aray sytems.

But there size and weight must have done the big horn sytems in.

I have some new Bagend semi line aray sytems I use for paying gigs but I have run the old vintage horn sytems a few times this sumer.

My main horn rig is 4 eaw bas bin and 8 lasala upper bass cabs, sfw and comunity mid horns and a dozen ev tweeters or jbl style macougly finned high horns. powerd by Phase linear 700's and 400's of coures for that true 70's rock sound. ther must be a market for vintage Pa rental somwere.

My dream is to have a Rock,n roll camp with all period correct PA's from the 50 to today. would be kinda like stepin back in time to here bands sound just as they would have live.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any pros doing live sound full time that use klipsch.

I just sold my last Klipsch rig. 12 kp 480's and 6 kp 302's and 4 kp250's powered with 10 Crown macrotech 2400's. I used Klipsch boxes full time for live band reinforcement from 1995 until this summer. I am really sorry I let it go now. That rig is still being toured in the Pacific Northwest....I could always tell the other Klipsch fanatics....... they would come up to me w/ a big smile on their face....... and a story about what they have at home.........

Best, Matt

Vintage Marshall pa heads make killer guitar amps but there nor cheap,

(OT sorry) Yes, the guitar guys have embraced using the old tube PA heads. I just sold my Traynor YVM-1.

(50w EL-34, point-to-point wiring, 4 channels, effects loop (well, pre out, power in) 4 speaker jacks and 4/8/16 ohm possibility and intact logo!)

The Traynors are (considered) sleepers in this realm, seemingly compared to the desireable Marshalls of the same era. (I do not have ebough marshall experience for direct comparison, but the traynor did sound good.)

Epray prices evidencing that for thier guitar models (e.g. ygm-3). People like the PTP ones for ease of mods/rebuilding of course.