Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Sept. 8

thebes

Oh my. I've been pretty much missing in action over the last couple of months and for that you have my apologies. Don't really matter though because it's about the music and not the players. As summer segues into Fall and everybody gets back to work , as daylight slowly seeps away earlier each day it just means we'll have more dark to huddle around our glowing tubes and crank up some tunes.

Pete Kelly's Blues, jazz, cd

Narrated by Jack Webb and utilizing a tight group of mostly Chicago artists this 1955 movie soundtrack features jazz the old way, before Monk and Coltrane got their hands on it. Most of you will think it's simply ragtime, but it's a far more refined animal drawing heavily upon New Orleans jazz. The cd I have is a digitally remastered version, and while Jack Webb's commentary does at times interrupt the flow of the music, it sure does sound good.

Thebes recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

Looking forward to my favorite Japanese band playing in Austin and Dallas so I am listening to the exact opposite. 1960's Italian Jazz movie soundtrack by Piccioni, Piero Album La Decima Vittima.

decima_main.jpg

The great soundtrack from Piero Piccioni to the stylish, tongue-in-cheek sci-fi thriller from 1965, La Decima Vittima (AKA The 10th Victim).
Directed by Elio Petri and starring Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress (mmmmm....), La Decima Vittima
is a futuristic tale where people hunt one another for sport - trying
to score a kill in front of the movie crews they arranged so they can
make TV adverts and cash-in on their fame...

samples here http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/et-ladecimavittima.htm

Please don't beat me too bad over this, yes I have cds, but have intensions of getting into vinyl very soon. I know there is a lot of bad to real bad cds out there, is there a book, web site or some form of material the rates the quality? Even some of the XRCD aren't the greatest. From now on I would like to purchase a better quality cd. Got any good suggestions.

Thanks

Please don't beat me too bad over this, yes I have cds, but have intensions of getting into vinyl very soon. I know there is a lot of bad to real bad cds out there, is there a book, web site or some form of material the rates the quality? Even some of the XRCD aren't the greatest. From now on I would like to purchase a better quality cd. Got any good suggestions.

Thanks

The best bet is to find studios that do consistant work and look for bands that record there. I worry more about finding interesting music rather than quality. There is plenty of high quality recorded crapola.

Cigar, I don't know of anything specific about about rating cd's but there are a few small outifts that put out high quality cd's. Of course, your tastes and their recording styles might not mesh but you can buy one of each and give them a whirl and proceed from there.

Here's a few:

Chesky (check out Sara K "Play on Words"

Audioquest (check out Doug MacLeod "Come to Find, blues with Charlie Musselwhite sitting in on a couple of tunes)

Mobile Fidelity

Mapleshade Records

I noticed you said you liked Luke and the Locomotives on you other thread so that's why I mentioned the MacLeod piece.