This may seem an odd question but ...

esseff

Just got my Custom 2's - love the sound. However, I'd like to use the case to store them, and include my iPod. How on earth do I close it without putting a huge strain on the monitors. There doesn't seem to be any way to do it elegantly. I'm really surprised that there isn't a place designed to hold the most important parts.

Good question.... I have a Creative Labs Zen xTra so it's way too big to fit in with my Custom 2 - maybe could cram it in by itself.... when you figure it out, let us all know please

The Custom 2 (any Custom model as all the same size) barely fit as it is on their backs with the nozzles pointing up and no room for anything else in that area. So unless you've got a small Nano that leaves room for that I'm not sure it could be done.They might lay a little flatter if one would flatten out the bendable wire but I don't think it'd help much and might be too stressful on said bendable wire.

I have to be careful to avoid smashing my Custom 2 carrying nothing more than the Custom 2, the supplied accessories, and some alcohol wipes. I should probably store the airline adapter someplace else but would probably forget where I put it should I ever think I might need it.

A couple of helpful hints.

Another thing I've thought about the cleaning tool is to tether it to the case.... not sure if drill a hole and tie on some sort of cord or glue / tape on.

With my clumsy fingers, I've sent it flying a couple of times and it can be difficult to find in the dust bunnies under one's desk or the carpet of your vehicle... of course being the klutz that I am I'd be concerned about pulling too far and sending anything in the case flying, such as one's favorite tips one is about to put back on. They can be hard to find also....

And then there's the tether to get back in the case... may have to try a small retractable one.

The velcro has helped me keep track of my cleaning tool.

• 2 weeks later...

The advertising for this model clearly states that the case is designed to carry an 80gb iPod. You would've thought that meant you'd be able to get the Custom 2's in as well! Not happy about this. With such great ear monitors, a properly thought out case seems essential, especially as something purporting to be one was included. Perhaps the more basic case that comes with the Custom 1's will actually carry them safely. I use a high quality leather case to hold my iPod, so if the basic case is better at storing the monitors, perhaps I could exchange the Custom 2 case for one of these as I'd prefer to have at least something to put them in when not being used.

There's a reason that you're an engineer and we're not. Such insight...

Trust me... I wondered the same thing when I put it all together. The focus groups told us that they wanted it as small as possible but as a pack rat, I thought it should be bigger. This was the compromise that seemed to work. Once I figured out that you could cheat the case by putting the nozzles in the only free area the case closed with little pressure.

now I have a man bag

Regarding your man bag....(ok, this actually has nothing to do with it)...

I was going to give you grief (and might have when I saw you in Indy)...I don't remember but this is worth repeating.

Earlier this year we travelled to Europe. One thing I did for this trip was to buy an Ipod and my Custom 3's for the plane ride over. One side benefit is the C3's came with the airline adapters so I could plug into the seat and listen to the movie or what ever was playing.

During that time, I dutifully got out my dual airline plug, plugged my C3's into it and prepared to watch the item of the moment... then, much to my disbelief, the plug did NOT fit into the seat recepticle... [:^)] I could not understand why it would not fit...then I got a bit frustrated [:@]

I just knew I'd wasted this money on this purchase since I was not going to be able to utilize the C3's while on the long plane ride (12 hours). Yes, I had clear visions of Prof. Thump in my brain and different, yet creative ways I was going to try to thump you on the head when I saw you next... [8o|]

Then, imagine to my mechanically dis-inclined mind.... hmm... the plane adapter has two prongs... how stupid of them....(Klipsch)... don't they realize that some planes evidently now have a SINGLE plug???

Hmmm...single plug? two prong adapter? Single plug C3 plugged into two prong adapter?

Well...I just wonder if this single plug on the C3's will fit directly into the single outlet on the plane and work?

Imagine my surprise when it fit right in and worked fine!!

sigh...

admissions like this are so dang embarassing... [:$] [:$] [:$]

I take your point Professor, although it appears in the photo that you use a single flange tip, where as I use the large doubles which obviously take up more room. However, even with the single tips it's still not the most elegant of solutions. Wouldn't it have been nicer to have a specific area for the nozzles to slip into?

Bring on the man bag comments. I can take it. Now that I have been boxing 3 days a week for over a year I am ready, so bring it on.

I love my bag. I can put lots of headphones and amps and eartips in that thing. I bet you will never guess how many headphones are in my bag right now?

That is pretty funny Coytee, that it took some time to figure out that a 1/8th inch plug fits in an 1/8th in jack. Blame it on the jet lag. I would.

I bet you will never guess how many headphones are in my bag right now?

That is pretty funny Coytee, that it took some time to figure out that a 1/8th inch plug fits in an 1/8th in jack. Blame it on the jet lag. I would.

6 headphones in your bag right now. One of each model, and maybe a new model? (6 is my standard answer, only correct if I don't use it).

Well, Coytee, at least you didn't ask the flight attendant how to plug your 'phones into the single jack using your airplane adaptor. Maybe the dual jacks on planes are being replaced by normal headphone jacks?