Some electrical help for lighting

justin_tx_16

I have a little project... I want to get these little dudes...

soundneon-2(320w).jpg

soundneonRed(320w).jpg

they are neon lights that are sound sensitive for car audio systems. they plug into your car lighter socket and have an internal mic that you can adjust to the sensitivity level. i want to get two or three of these and put them on the back shelves of my corner computer desk with my ProMedia 5.1's. My only delima is making them work with my homes electical power. I think these are 12 volts so can i just get a 12 volt ac adapter from radio shack (two or three of them) and plug them in this way? (i know i can get this and the right sized jack on the end from radio shack). This should work right?

what color would you get? red or the blue? Or, should i get two red and then one blue for the center, two blue and then one red for the center, or just all blue or all red? What would you do?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Just check the input amperage and voltage

on the power input of the lights.

It will expressed in Milliamps or millivolts.

Make sure the input plug matches the + plus -

on the female plug.

These are 12 volt lights.

just makes sure you match the power input,

and don't exceed it, you will cook the light.

I don't how many lights a rat shack 12 volt

power supply can run.

I have a old, old 12 volt Micronta Radio Shack

power supply it puts out 2.5 amps total.

I guess you could hook up as many lights as you

can until the power supply trips it's breaker.

If you want to use a wall wart, just make sure

that the supply matches and doen't exceed the

amperage voltage of the light.

You will want a wall wart that is 12 volts

and has the same Milliamp/Millivolts that the

Neon light requires.

Does the manufacturer of the neon lights carry

a 12 volt ac adapter for them?

They can probably be of help, on figuring out the

proper adapter.

Gonna make your room look like a Rave?

THANX!

Wal-Mart is a store... sounds like you were thinking it was something else Smile.gif

They do not come with any adapters, but after looking at my friends i remembered that they used a power input like a portable cd players, a DC so that makes it pretty easy. I was planning on using one AC/DC adapter for each light. Make it easier to setup.

Yeah, working on making my room Ravish Smile.gif Gonna get a strobe light, another black light, and then these. Should be pretty cool! My room is about 18x19 feet, pretty big. Will certainly impress anyone who walks in during some Dj Keoki trance Smile.gif hehe.

Thanks for the help. Can you think of anything else I should add? Also, just curious, why do all of your posts end after like 4 inches of text per line? Always looks like you wrote a poem LoL! Thanks again for the help.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

LMAO!!!!!

you said wall wart.. as in ac/dc adapter.. haha sorry bout that LoL!

------------------

-justin

I guess I could stretch my sentences out.

(Hey! My grammar sucks! I'll admit it.)

Wall Wart is a nickname for a AC/DC power adapter that

plugs onto the receptacle on the wall.

It looks like a wart on the receptacle, hence the name.

(Like the ones for portable cd players.)

A Disco Ball? Lava Lamps?

I'm trying to get these sentences to stretch out real long, but I can only go so far.

What I hate, is when somebody jams all their text into one big block.

i used to type

just like this

where everytime that you

would take a breath

or make any kind of pause

you would hit enter.

this made my friends kinda annoyed when we chatted on the net Smile.gif

yeah, i reread your wall wart, not wal-mart Smile.gif haha

thanks again, got the lava lamp Smile.gif disco ball eh? Smile.gif that is an idea Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

don't change now, it is sort of like your little thing Smile.gif Mine is the excessive use of smilies Smile.gif i do it way to often Smile.gif that and misspeelling (hehehe) really easy words like the as teh, one as noe, to as ot, and so on. haha Smile.gif

wondering about some fiber optics... but that might be over the top and where would i put them? jeez, my electric bill will be high Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

LOL I needed this it has been a tough day at work.

Thanks guys. BTW don't worry about keeping the text within the little posting box. Just hit return when you wnat to. The BB software takes care of all the word wrapping.

Justin I think those lights will look cool. Be sure to post a pic of your pad when you are all done.

Laters, cwm1.gifcwm2.gifcwm3.gifcwm6.gifcwm8.gifcwm9.gifcwm12.gifcwm30.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

No problem! Smile.gif I am making some DigitalDiva speaker stands right now. They are looking SWEET! Will post some pics of it as soon as I finish and can figure out how to get some WinXP drivers for my Intel Pocket PC Camera or my Epson Perfection Scan 1240 Photo scanner... can not find them for my Epson 740 printer either... guess I am going to have to buy all new peripherals... hehehe

------------------

-justin

check this out... my more up to date thread on this Smile.gif

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum33/HTML/001306.html

------------------

-justin

ok, got one light, they only had one blue, the rest were purple. my cigerrette lighter (can't spell that) is 12 volt, 10 amps... the plug of the lights is just two wires, no like converter or resister, so, could i just get a 12 volt, 10 amp ac/dc converter, hook it to the wires of the light with solder and be set? is there any way i could have more than one light per ac/dc converter???

thanks mike stehr! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

10 amps?

Have you found a AC to DC adapter that is rated at that amperage?

The thing is, I'm not sure if you can find a Wall Wart in this high of rating amperage wise.

I've got nothing better to do, I'll reveiw the posts you linked to this thread, check out the lights,(If you have a link in those posts) and scrounge around the net for a Wall wart or something that is ten amps and won't cost a arm and a leg.

(I can only read and dream about Themionic devices so long on other Forums.)

The Purple ones sound cool.

I'll see if I can help out.

I have neon lights on top of my entertainment center. I bought the 12 volt supply you mentioned at Radio Shack. It has one hookup,so I bought some y-adapters and have 4 lights running off the box. Have had them several years and have had no problems with them hooked up this way.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three

DVD: Toshiba 4109X

Laserdisc: Yamaha CDV-W901

5 CH Amp(for subs): Rotel RB-985

Single Cass Deck: HK TD-420

Dual Cass Deck: HK DC-520

What's the Amp rating on your 12 volt converter, Magnum Man?

So Justin can get a idea on how much amperage he can get away with, and how many of these lights he can run.

I'm just wondering if one could run two or more lights off a cheaper 10 amp 12 volt converter, or would have to maybe jump up to a 20 amp converter.

Justin's looking for a 10 amp Wall Wart, I don't think they have them in that high a rating.

You might have to buy a 12 volt converter, Justin.

To get that high of a amperage.

All the wall warts I seen where in Milliamps.

(I seen them up in the 2000 milliamp range, but I have no clue what 10 amps is in milliamps.)

A 12 volt power supply has many uses.

You could use a car battery to use for now, as a temporary fix.

Uninterruptible Power Supplies for Computer's could be a option, but you would have to make sure it puts out 10 amps, and you would have to charge it.

For the price of a bunch of Wall Warts you could probably be into a good 12 volt AC/DC converter, anyway.

I hope this isn't discouraging.

THANX!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 02-02-2002 at 02:34 AM

ok, maybe i was a little vague Smile.gif

there is NO information on the lights that tell what kind of power it takes it. it has just the basic cigerette lighter plug, that is it. you can not unplug it from the light. there is a one inch long fuse inside the lighter plug, but no info on it. my CAR's (a 2000 Honda Accord) has a 12 watt 10 amp output, that is what it says on the sigerette lighter cover (just a piece of plastic/rubber that covers the hole). i do not know what the fuse on the light does.

all mart maxes at out 1000milli amp's like you said, at 12 volts. I guess i can get a 10milliamp 12 volt converter and start at say 1.5 and work my way up to 12 or whatever works best. will this work? once i get light i would stop moving the power slider up. it has 1.5-12.

so, lets just say it is 6 volts at 600milliamps, could i just set a 600milliamp ac/dc converter to 6 volts and hook ip up and it would work, and then could i add another light to it, and maybe one more and that is final???

now i am thinking, two purple one blue, the blue in the center. how does that sound to you?

those lights are no where on the net, they are made my Roadmaster (USA) Corp under the name Studio54. THe model is SNL-6B... but i can not find it on the net. once i can get my scanner to work with WinXP i will scan the plug so you can see what i am working with.

thanks a ton

------------------

-justin

Justin, keep in mind that 1000 Milliamps is more amperage wise than 10 milliamps.

Milliamps is amperage measurement below 1 amp.

You would have to stick with 12 volts, 6 volts might make the light work, but it will probably be dim if it lights at all.

Does this Light have a 8 watt bulb?

Can it be replaced?

Did you see if the fuse has a rating on itself.

(That fuse keeps too much amperage from smoking the light,BTW.)

Okay, I have a 8 watt, Flourescent 12 volt drop light.

This is probably a lot like what you have, minus the color.

I also have a ancient Radio Shack 12 volt power supply.

It puts out 2.5 amps.

Some of these power supplys are rated at 13.8 DC volts.

Don't let that bug you, it's just the realistic rating with 12volts DC and electrical circuits relating to vehicles.

I think 14.1 is max, after that, most vehicles are having a electrical problem of some sort, resulting in a overcharge/voltage.

Anyways, the light runs fine off the 2.5 amp 12 volt power supply of mine.

I only have one, so I couldn't daisy chain them.

So I think you could try the wall wart you mentioned.

But it would be nice to know what amperage that light takes, but the drop light I have does not indicate this as well, just that it is a 8watt bulb.

Are you talking about the Radio Shack wall wart, that has varible setting's on it?

You will probably have to cut off the cigarette plug on the light, or bypass around it with wire.

But leave the fuse! It's there for good reason.

You could just then directly wire it to the supply,

or configure a male/female plug setup.

I think these Flourescent lights are of low amperage, so they may be well be under 1 amp in the milliamperage range.

So I think you should not have a problem with the variable wall wart you mentioned.

This would be a good idea, especially if you plan on using more than one light.

You have the option of increasing the amperage.

I think all you can do is buy one and try it.

Make sure it is 12 volts, and leave that fuse.

Maybe Magnum the coffin subwoofer Man will chime in.

Nice speaker stands, BTW.

Pick your own colors Justin, that's what makes us individuals.

Dare to be different!