Scrabulous....

oscarsear

Alas Scrabulous seems to be gone and I need to vent. Hasbro who owns the copyright to the word game Scrabble has been feverishly working to end the on-line game Scrabulous in an infringement lawsuit. Hasbro is not wrong but was Hasbro smart? I own 3 Hasbro Scrabble games. I have played the game for longer than I will admit. Scrabulous was not the same as Scrabble. Yeah, it used the same board and the same tiles. But it did not use the same dictionary. It was a marvelous place to challenge your skills at the game and it helped my game out significantly. t did not detract from Hasbro's Scrabble business. It attracted more attention and more business to it. It got more people into the game seriously and it improved many players skills to a point that they felt comfortable playing the game face to face, with real Hasbro equipment. I'll keep playing Scrabble but I will not look favorably on this move by Hasbro. Hopefully Scrabulous will return, the wife is too damned smart and I need the edge to keep winning.

That's the deal. The game is far more fun (and longer) played in person. You can also be certain that the other player(s) are not multitasking reference materials when the game is live. Hasbro should have warmed up to the Scrabulous site and encouraged the play and the interest in the game. Hasbro had a free and very widely successful marketing vehicle and they shut it down.