Heresy II woofer not working

davis419b

Thanks Noah,

They were actually both workng when I first began listening to them today and then one qoit working.

I swapped woofers and that didnt help. The woofer that was not working worked in the other cabinet

but the orignal cabinet the woofer still would work. Not sure what up !

Noah's correct. Check all of the spade clip connections. Best to remove them, clean the spade terminals with a pencil eraser or Caig's De-Oxit, and then put them back on. You should also make sure the female end on the wire is not loose. Carefully squeeze the rolled over edges with a pair of needle nose pliers (not too much), to make sure that the fit on the driver spade is tight.

After reading another post (Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986) I think I have found the problem.

The crossover also had a broken wire. I dont know anything about this stuff so this is a very crude desription.

The nut on the positive speaker jack was loose and I guess this is why the wire from the little blue cylinder deal broke. Vibration I guess.

I will find someone to solder it and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks alot, Don

I took it to a buddy of mine who is an electrical engineer, he soldered the wire back and they work great !!

We talked about replacing the caps and he said it would be simple. I am just wondering if brand matters

as long as the values of the caps are the same?

Thanks to ALL, Don

Don,

With crossovers that are 22 years old, you probably will hear an improvement in you swap fresh caps into the crossover. The factory spec caps are not high dollar caps, which IMO, means you can do the job for not alot of money. People are all over the map regarding whether or which high dollar caps improve the sound. I've heard examples of both and would recommend to restore to factor spec, which sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

BEC (Bob Crites) on this forum is one source for caps which most closely approximate factory spec. He sells direct or on Ebay.

Thanks Daddy Dee,

We looked at he dealers website for prices on the ones Bob shows in his kit and it looks as though Bobs package is less expensive.

I have 4 K-horns and 4 LaScalls and Im sure after doing the first set I wll want to do the rest. All of them have AA crossovers in them

and I thought by going to the dealer might make it affordable to do them all.

Thanks, Don