Need Integrated Amp to match with Heresy's

jeeves01

Today I picked up a pair of 1979 Heresy's that were being tossed out of a non-profit that had received them as a donation and never done anything with them. I knew the Klipsh brand but nothing particular about the speakers until I brought them home and looked up the model information. Seems like they are well respected.

The problem is that I don't own an amp. Originally I was just thinking of selling them, but now I'd like to be able to use them. Does anyone have some recommendations for integrated amplifiers that I should look at? I did a little research and it looks like the NAD C325BEE might be a good possible option.

Welcome to the Forum. As you can imagine, there will be a "bazillion" possible suggestions. That being said, and depending on your budget, look around at vintage solid state integrated at least to start with. While my personal preference is old Sansui's, others can attest to NAD, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, and myriad others. Consider at least about 50 watts RMS per channel, both channels driven. The Heresy's are a relatively efficient speaker, and you don't really need an amp with more than about 100 watts per channel RMS. The older amps can be had for reasonable prices, are fairly easy to service, and you will get several years out of them as you enjoy the Heresys and make a decision for a particular amp you want for the future. Hope that helps a bit.

Hello,

Congrats on the Heresys. You've got a nice pair of speakers that will no doubt give you years of enjoyment. Might I recommend this Marantz receiver on ebay? Don't be fooled by it's modest 35 watts per channel, this is a sweet sounding receiver that will give you plenty of volume with horn loaded speakers. Throw in it's built like a tank construction and great cosmetics and you have (what I feel anyway) is a great value leader in solid state electronics. Marantz made great stuff in the 70s. The price seems pretty good too, considering it's totally gone through and fixed up. Should work for a long time! Good luck and let us know what you get.

-Jon

All info above is very wise....the only thing I don't like about Vintage Receivers is there is a whole lot packed into one box that can start waring out....be cautious of an ebay deal that say's "serviced", a lot of times that just means it was cleaned up. Be prepared to eventually have it overhauled by a tech , and that can be more than the receiver itself.

Same holds true for any vintage piece....That said I personally have had VERY good luck with Sansui Integrated in the AU-XXXX series....often an AU-7900 can be had for $125...and I'll put it up against some of my vintage Mcintosh gear.

in the more modern realm try to find and Outlaw Audio 2 channel receiver used they really kick A$$

Thanks for the recommendation on that Marantz receiver. I did a search on craigslist and found the following set of Marantz equipment. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/876859191.html

Seems like a pretty good deal too?

I really like my 2238B, though I have yet to hear it through my Heresys. I've been using a Marantz 2330, which sounds great, but have a feeling that the 2238B receiver would sound even better. I need to dig it out of the garage, one of these days, and test my theory.

$220 for all sounds like a decent deal. A good working 2238B usually goes for about $100 on Ebay, if prices haven't changed much in the last year. Whatever you decide on, try to buy local so you can save a few bucks on postage, and, more importantly, avoid shipping damage.

I really like the sound of the mid 70's late 70's equipment the best - much fuller, and richer in reproduction.

I have a couple Marantz receivers (2226B, 2252B and 2265B) that sound terrific and would work very well for you.

I also have a few integrated amp - tuner combinations that I also love the sound of (Pioneer SA 9500 II, and Pioneer SA 7800) The corresponding tuners are TX 9500 II and TX 7800.

I really like the sound of older Luxman equipment as well - they typically go for less $$ on ebay than Marantz or Pioneer. They aren't as good looking (IMO)

Luxman R-1050 is a very nice receiver, but they make many integrated as well.

Hope this helps