a day with my new old Cornwalls

NJbob

I picked up a pr from a ebay win and finally got to spend a few hours with them. (I have had Lascalla's).

First off they are very source dependant. Even to level of a albulm (i'm 99% vinyl) I had them hooked up to a Rogue Tempest II 90 watt tube amp (Kt88's) and they sound good. Then hooked up my modded ST70 and you would have needed a shover to pick up my jaw. I'm much more impressed with these than the Lascallas in my room with my equipment. Bass was lower and the volcals weer a lot smoother. I have read lots of posts from people likeing the cornwalls better. Now i'm one of the converts. I'm gonna look for a 300b amp next.

The guy i bought them from was the original owner from 1983. and over the years put layers of poly urathane on them. I wanted to sand them and add some fresh stain. seems like that might not be to practical. Any thoughts how hard its to sand down the urothane These are in good shape but I much rather have a different (fresh stain). I'll be ording new grill cloth, binding posts and caps this week. figure I'll also rewire the connections too

post-25670-13819418933426_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts how hard its to sand down the urothane

The venner is not thick enough to pursue sanding down poly coatings, then beyond that sanding even more to get the stain off.

The amount of material removal we are talking about will probally result in cabs that will need to be re-veneered.

All you would need to do is prep all surfaces with 80 grit sand paper (vibrating sander or sanding block) to scuff them up enough for the veneers contact cement. Don't forget the edges. Don't use a belt sander unless your an expert.