LSI

bliss53

Oh my. I picked up a battered pair of LSIs from Noah last week. These speakers lived in a bar. They are 1975 speakers that were used hard. There are wine stains and chips galore. AA crossovers all original. To look at them you would not expect much.

They sound outstanding. I now understand the "holographic image" that is often mentioned in connection with Lascalas. I listened to a wide range of music. I am a very happy camper. They are not the most detailed speakers, but they involve you in the music like nothing I have ever heard.

This was a big weekend because I also heard khorns for the first time at a friends house. I enjoyed the khorns but I still prefer the LSIs. The khorns were not in an optimum setup so I have not dismissed them but I do like the LSIs. Did I mention that I like the LSIs?

The friend also had a pair of mcintosh mc75s, a mcintosh c220 and a mcintosh sacd player for sale so I brought them home and connected them up. This combo is very sweet. When comparing to my cayin integrated and my cayin hybrid cd player, I preferred the cayin gear. There is a sweetness to the mullard el34 tubes that I prefer. The noise floor in the the mc75s was noticeably higher. Could have been the tubes in the mcintosh.

Another friend is now auditioning the mcintosh preamp and sacd with his big ss mcintosh mono blocks and his proclaim dmt 100 speakers. We listened for several hours yesterday and these pieces are a great fit on his system. I think he will be selling an audible illusions preamp with phono, a eastern electric mini max phono stage and a primaluna prologue 2 integrated amp. If anyone is interested let me know and I will have him contact you.

In any case, thanks Noah.

I will probably veneer them. Although, I am enjoying the surprised look of folks who hear them after seeing the knocked off corners, wine stains, dents and dings. I still find it amazing that a speaker that has probably been abused in a bar setting since 1975 still sounds so good.

I still haven't finished my cornwall veneer project so it will be awhile. I will do the cornwalls first in cherry. I will see how that looks and go on from there.

Congrast Pete! I am jealous.

Sorry for the hijack, but I know we have a good community of speaker watchers out there. I really don't need them at all, but I just want a pair. No rush, so I can wait for the right timing.

I am wanting to buy a pair of LSIs...but a very specific type. I want the fiberglass, split ones with the aluminum trim around them. They will be my ultimate garage speakers. I think they would be killer in a 28X35 foot setting. Also interested in making them my outdoor theater speakers if I ever get off my lazy butt and rig up something that can easily be put up and taken down. I am also guessing they might make better pool side speakers then a forte II pointed out the window.

So keep an eye out for me...need to be within a days drive of Maryland or decent shipping too. Ah, dare to dream.

Pete, the MMF is up and running with the origin arm and wooden disc you made me. Thanks again!

Pete,

I am about 45 minutes from the city. If you are looking at a map of I-95 I am about 10 miles from exit #80. See if that is doable for you. I am probably free on those days. There are a few other forum members in the area too. Perhaps we could find a central location or there is always my place...others (Theebs, LarryC, Mike Lindsey and GaryMD) can probably verify that I have a beer or two hanging around my place. Hint, I typically have 8 on tap at any given time. [H]

I am willing to drive to you. See what is easy for others if any one else is around those nights. I could even stop in on Sunday on the drive down. I was hoping to hear your systems but I may be more interested in the beer. There are large bars that do not have 8 beers on tap!

Let me know what works.