Rega P1

tom b. 57

Any thoughts on this turntable?

I am thinking about checking one out if the price is right. Although I have no idea what a good price is for a used one with cartridge.

I don't know what kind of cart. it has as of yet. Is this a decent low priced quality TT?

Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Please don't kill me Rega Fans....just my opinion....I had a new P3 with the new fancy shmancy arm that all the mags rave about....

Paid a $100 restocking fee + shipping to return it.... I hated it that much....flimsy, delicate, nothing special in the sonics dept....I had no use for it...

I'm VERY happy with my Technics sl-1200 "tank" and I'm in the middle of having a Thorens TD-124 rebuilt for my vintage set up

If your looking for entry level...TigerwoodKorns advice is spot on........on the fancy schmancy tables..you aren't going to best a basic technics until you get to the several thousand dollar range, and then only if the rest of your system and your ears are sensitive to make out any difference.....S get something sturdy that you can pass on to your grandkids!!!

I think you are making a good choice.......Any time I see a high end company put out mass market price point products, I wonder about the motivation. It's all about marketing strategies and product placement. I'm not saying that they are bad products...but if "Joes Turntables" normally sells in the $2000-$16000 range, and then comes out with a $300 product.......How much R+D went into it? They have to be out sourcing or rebranding....and the profit margin must be next to nothing....I believe it's to get a foot hold into the market and give the retailer a low end product that they can later make trades/upgrades.

Again I'm sure the Rega, music hall, etc low end tables sound perfectly fine....but i would rather buy a product that's someone's bread and butter flagship, like a technics SL 1200 thats stood the test of 30 years.......or a vintage table that has a particular sonic signature........When I have several thousand extra $$$$ burning a hole in my pocket then perhaps I'll get a real high end table to see what it's about.....

Good luck