Digital RIAA sample

doctorcilantro

Finally got around to making a sample, well I have made many, but some final issueswere ironed out. I still need to run through final cartridge setup and this motorfall out of step too quickly, but give a listen. It will stream, but feel free to download to critically listen on the system/player of your choice.

http://digitanalogue.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-made-few-minor-improvements-on.html

I recorded some Beethoven and Mozart; I'll put those up in a bit.

best,

Jon

The file
was record at 32bit-float/96kHz and saved with Wavelab 5 as 24/44. A Grado
Reference Statment (.4mv) on an MG-1 tonearm (Bix turntable) was
connected to an AEA Big Ribbon flat mic pre which fed a Lavry AD-10.
the AD-10 integrated with the PC via a Van Den Hul Optcoupler and EMU
1212M S/PDIF input. In Samplitude, digital RIAA was applied in realtime
along with a rumble filter during recording & monitoring. No
crackle removal or other restoration was done on the audio file.

The digital RIAA filter is an EQ plugin which means we can do the most accurate possible RIAA possible, in the digital domain instead of the analog domain of the recording chain.

The benefits of this are touted in white paper by Orban who I believeoffers "Pure Vinyl" for MAc users. Diamond Cut 7 also offers a built "virtual phono pramp" to do what I'm doing via VST plugin in Sampitude.

I'd like ot hear suggestions for more test samples. I have a lot of nice classical. Any composer or movement or particualar recording that others may have a copy of and be familiar with?

White paper

Purevinyl features

I don't use Pure Vinyl but I've talked to software engineer who is very knowledgable in EE and he said this top is the best of the best. My setup sounds good and the desinger claims specs as good as Orban's.

DC

This isn't poopooing, but I cannot see where there should be a significant amount of error in RIAA reversal. My ears have never suggested any and I've never heard it brought up.

I've been recording straight to the DAC at 1 bit, 2.8mhz and I am unable to tell the difference, as have been a few others.

Of course, as always, I may be quite deaf.

Dave

The benefits of this are touted in white paper by Orban who I believeoffers "Pure Vinyl" for MAc users.

Be aware that Orban's filter approximation method matches magnitude superbly well, but ignores phase. See Robert Orban's comments, and responses to them, here. The effects may or may not be audible; I don't know.

Greg