Help me choose a speaker

achugh

Hi,

I need help in deciding which speakers should I go with. I have a 7.2 wired home and are thinking of geting a Pioneer ELITE SC-07 for the AVR. I am a big fan of floor speakers that are made of wood as they sound fuller to me compaired to the compact bookshelf ones.

I also have a problem where the CENTER channel is already wired above the fireplace where the TV will hung. The fireplace mantel is only 4 1/2" deep. So I need a speaker that comes with wall mounting option.

My dealer is recommeding the RF-82 series (the whole set with the exception of RVX-42 for the center channel) as it be hung on the wall under the TV.What other options do I have? Is thee some kind of adjustable height stand that is available for the RC-62/64?

Another question that is bothering me is that most of the AVR will have a default cross over freq set to 80Hz. The SC-07 will lets me changethe X-OVER freq. I don't know the option as of now all know is that it is a global X-OVER setting so it applies to all speakers set as SMALL on the setup screen. The question I have is why would anyone go the route of buying RF-63/83 with extra woofers when the woofers will not be used as the LFE sound will be route to the sub? I am thinking that a RF-82 with better subs like the RT-1xd would be a better setup than getting better L+R+C speakers.

Please advice.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. The RF-82 is a great system. I opted for the RF-83 myself.

I am a big fan of floor speakers that are made of wood as they sound fuller to me compaired to the compact bookshelf ones.

Yep, me too.

The question I have is why would anyone go the route of buying RF-63/83 with extra woofers when the woofers will not be used as the LFE sound will be route to the sub?

Ah the great debated xover question for big front speakers. I own the RF-83's. They can easily handle being set to Large. Some say that by setting them to Small, especially if you are using a receiver without a dedicated amp, the receiver is freed up and relieved by allowing the sub to handle the LFE. Some feel that the fronts sound smoother by relieving them of the lowest frequencies. Even when you set them to 80Hz, they still are producing quality sound from the woofers so it's not like you are paying for them and then turning them off. They still handle midbass and midrange frequencies. In my previous home, it was less than ideal living room so I could not appreciate the fronts being set to Large because there was no wall behind my speakers so the RF-83's produced almost no bass whatsoever (imagine that). We just recently moved into a new home and have a dedicated theater room and just purchased a new Yamaha receiver so I have not had a chance to even play with the xover settings on it so I couldn't tell you what xover I have them set on. Bottom line is that the RF-83's are incredible speakers (but I'm not biased at all). [;)]

Here is one thing you might want to think about. Do you have the room to mount a 62 lb RC-64 center channel on your fireplace? I'm guessing no. If so, go with the RF-82's so you can use the smaller RC-62 center which is timber matched for the RF-82's.

You are brave mounting a flat panel on a fireplace. Yes it looks cool, but heat and electronics are enemies. Not so good for the plasma or lcd.

Hope that helps.

@Youthman,

Thanks for your input.

We hardly use fireplace. And the fireplace is set with natural gas instead of the old wood burning style.

I was doing my own research about other brands because of limited depth available for the center channel and found the Paradigm Millenia's series.

These speakers are quite flat, have a very good WAF but are not the full wood enclosure type.

So far I am not been able to find any brand which has full wood style speakers with the center channel that can be mounted/hung on the wall.

It seems every manufacturer has the sleek design which will allow you to hang the center channel on the wall but they will not be the wood style. So I think they will lack the fullness I so desire.

If anyone knows about any manufacturer making HT speaker sets that are resoanbly priced, sound good and are wood style (has the warm full sound), please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Moderators

Can you post a photo of the fireplace? Could you place the RC-62 on the mantle? It is front ported so it could rest completely against the wall. What about adding a shelf if the mantle will not do? Would help to see what you have to work with. Just click Reply, then Options, then Add/Update and attach your photo.

If at all possible, don't chinse on your center. If you are wanting good HT sound, you will need a quality center channel. I don't believe the RXV-42 could keep up with the RF-82's (although I have never heard the RXV-42's). Just a hunch based on 4" speakers competing with 8" woofers. Good luck in your search.

• Moderators

You may want to check out the icon series. They are very sleek looking and the center is 1/2 as deep as the RC-62 and would likely meet the WAF. I bet Colterphoto1 can tell you about how they sound compared to the RF-82's. He had some Wood Icon's for sale at a fantastic price but he sold the WF-35 package.

Take a look at the WF-34 and the WF-35 system specs. They might just be the ticket for you.

@Youthman,

Thanks for the information. I looked at the WF-35 HomeTheather package. It has the same issue as the RF series. The Center Channel has NO mounting hooks on the back. The only advantage this has is that it is less deep. But with backfiring ports, I am thinking it cannot be flushed to the wall and needs little breathing room. My mantle is only 4 1/2" deep. It is real skinny. So I was looking for something that I can hang on the wall like a TV.

The only speakers that I could find from Klipsch are the ones listed under their FLAT screen sloution.

One question regarding these flat speakers, if someone knows the answer.

All the flat screen solution speakers have a very low power rating like 75W Continous. If the AVR has lot more power like say 140WPC; will the AVR damage these speakers specially when the AVR is doing Auto Calibration like Audessey or MCACC etc.

I'm just spitballing here, but have you considered one of Klipsch's larger in-wall speakers as a center? I guess it would depend on how high the TV would be mounted. But just as an idea, have a look at these:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-3800-w.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-5502-w.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-2502-w.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/kl-6504-thx.aspx

@BuyOtherSoundEquipment,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I thought about them at one of time. But I don't the sound of In-Walls. Another thing is that I will loose the flexibility to adjust the location, angle stuff if I don't like the sound where it is installed. And lastly, god forbid if I ever have to relocate, I can bag my speakers with me whereas with In-Walls it is not easy.

Does anyone knows how the well the XL-23 is going to mate with the RF-82 series speakers?

I concern I have is its low continous power.

This is the only wall mountable center channel I could find that is being listed amount the top rated speakers in the Klipsch lineup.

All the flat screen solution speakers have a very low power rating like 75W Continous. If the AVR has lot more power like say 140WPC; will the AVR damage these speakers specially when the AVR is doing Auto Calibration like Audessey or MCACC etc.

Most speaker manufacturers nowadays recommend using an amplifier that is rated to put out twice what the speakers are rated for. That way, the amp will always be putting out clean power, which is less dangerous to speakers than a low-powered amp that goes into clipping because it's asked to put out too much power.