Finishing Cinder Block?

PhilMays

Hi guys,

We just sold our home and bought another one in the Raleigh/Durham area. In our house we just sold, my theater was in a ver large shared room with the kids junk and acoustics were horrible.

In the new room we have an area that will be finished off in a complete dedicated theater. However, I need to maximize my dollars spent as we are fencing and building a horse barn on the property as well as new granite conters, reface cabinets, etc...you get the picture...papa's theater needs to be built using "best economical practices".

The room is about 20 x 30? and very dry cinder block walls. There is cinder block on the left wall coming down the steps and a hallway with ciderblock on the left and a sheet rock wall on the right.

Here are my thoughts.

DROP CEILING...YUCK...but I've gotta do it. Any suggestions on how to make that look good, panels/tiles, etc.

CINDERBLOCK WALLS...rubbing/finishing out the walls in a stucco and faux finish. The steps down to the hallway and the hallway I was considering a faux brick appearance complete with grout lines...I read last night this could be done with a sponge.

In the theater I was think about a beige/brown sponge finsh over the stucco/filler, then covered ever so often in a "theater curtain/drapes" for sound absobtion to stop reflection. In this application, I'm not sure how to hide the wiring, etc.

FLOORS...thick shag carpet, or tile with heavy throw rugs.

Again, the room is extremely dry as the exterior walls face a brick facade and the interior block walls never face the outside directly. There is absolutely no signs of moisture and the house was built 20 years ago.

PLEASE PICK THIS APART OR MAKE SUGGESTIONS....Thanks guys and gals!

Phil

Congrats on being able to sell your house in this Mkt !

Go check out Home Depot, or your local supplier...........you'll be suprised what's on the market these days for "Drop Ceilings"..............

An Idea for the walls would be to use "Dry Loc" paint. This way you protect the walls from any seepage and this stuff covers very well, almost like a Paste..............Just an Idea...........

Although dry, the cinder block walls probably would benefit from a preventive coating before you either stucco, or build another covering, etc. Here's the site for products we use in south Florida. Good stuff. We use their epoxy-coat as the paint for our boats.

http://revereproducts.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=pioneer&Product_Code=30300&Category_Code=masonry-graffiti

I don't know what the weather is like out there but coated cinder blocks does not have too much of an R valure.

I have 10" concrete on the first floor which sits on poured slabs. I put in a raised floor as well as framed it in on ll walls followed by 3" of solid foam sheets within the framing. Traditional mositure barrier against the concrete. Traditional drywalling on top of the framing.

I don't have any acoustic issues at all.

If your gonna use curtains on the walls I'd skip the stucco. Just seal or paint them. You could then do DIY acoustic treatments in between the curtain parts over time. I'd spend the money putting drywall on the ceiling before I'd stucco walls. Just my taste I guess. Drywall might not cost more than panels, a guess there. Can finish the outside edge with molding so the only plaster work is flat seams. Good luck.