Cambridge DacMagic

wpines

So it appears this can only be used with a digital connection on the input side (toslink optical or s/pdif), which I guess would make sense. I have a Denon 2900 Universal player (DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD) as my only source for digital music that I run thru my HT system (Denon 4800), but I can also run a set of analog RCA cables from the unit into the BBX for 2-ch CD listening. This is where I would want to put the DAC, but it appears it will not work this way.

Maybe I'll have to pick up a cheap CD player to be used as a transport and then purchase one of these to try and get back to my CD collection. As it stands, I haven't played a CD in over a year on my system. [:(]

Any ideas on a reasonably priced, but good quality transport?

Mike

Mike

I am assuming by your post that you are currently using the toslink output for your HT. Wouldnt a toslink splitter provide you with a digital out to the dac? something like this

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=102&sku=27027&cm_mmc=AdWords-_-Audio+Video+Cables-_-toslink+splitter_2464589901-_-toslink+splitter_Exact_|-|100000000000000145746&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000145746-_-2464589901&gclid=CPC30bLu3pYCFQpuGgodm2pW2Q

I am no expert on this digital stuff so I am more than likely full of it on this! I have not heard the Cambridge DAC but I have a benchmark in my system now and have to say my CD listening has increased by a large amount. I think any money spent on an expensive cd is a waste. Get a quality dac and the cheapest CDP you can find it it will best the most expensive units that I have heard.

Josh

I didn't see ASIO in the marketing specs....does anyone know if their USB sound driver bypasses the windows kernel?

The windows kernel will just destroy your sound quality because it forces everything to resample to 48kHz using a crappy algorithm...

I didn't see ASIO in the marketing specs....does anyone know if their USB sound driver bypasses the windows kernel?

The windows kernel will just destroy your sound quality because it forces everything to resample to 48kHz using a crappy algorithm...

You are correct. I'd be suprised if Cambridge audio would do that.

It has the same DAC as the Cambridge Azur 640C. I've been using this for a while it isa good CDP for the money.

It is like any other Cambridge Audio product. It doesn't run on an operating system like windows or linux. I'm not DAC expert but what happens when you run a signal from a windows PC? I don't worry about Mac as much