5:1 going to 7:1 thoughts...

CruedoG

Hey guys,,

I've really gained a lot of knowledge from this forum....thanks.

I've got a pair of RS-42's as my rear speakers(5:1)...

my plan is to put a set of speakers on my back wall for a 7:1 setup...

you know, the rear surrounds....

do you think another set of RS-42's would be cool for that or should I go with bookshelves...?

Thanks for the forum!!

Speakers like the RS series are generally recommended as side surrounds and bookshelves like the RB series are generally recommended as rear surrounds.

If your room is really big 7.1 may be a consideration. Otherwise 7.1 is sometimes overkill. Then again, don't let me talk you about buying more Klipsch. [:o]

We went from 5.1 to 7.1, using a pair of Radio Shack (gasp!) speakers I renovated, freebies from the in-laws. I don't hear much difference. They could be disconnected and I'd probably never notice. I think investing in really good 5.1 beats spreading the same amount of money over 7.1

We went from 5.1 to 7.1, using a pair of Radio Shack (gasp!) speakers I renovated, freebies from the in-laws. I don't hear much difference. They could be disconnected and I'd probably never notice. I think investing in really good 5.1 beats spreading the same amount of money over 7.1

You obviously haven't watched Hellboy 2 on Blu ray! More rear surround than any other movie I've ever watched at home!

• 2 weeks later...

You obviously haven't watched Hellboy 2 on Blu ray! More rear surround than any other movie I've ever watched at home!

I just did !!!.

7.1 is most of the time over kill, but with blu ray it is a all different story. I have notice a huge improvement in the sound quality with the new HD format.

If you have the room size and you are going to go the blu ray route, by all means invest in a 7.1. If you don't have the room or the budget, put the money in a higher lever 5.1 system.

having had a 7.1/2 setup with SDVD it was not worth the hassel of more wires and mounting speakers, after a while I went from 7.1 back to a 5.1 setup and haven't looked back. I imagine with BD there will be a benefit for sound quality with 7.1 sources but sources are still to sparse, to invest another grand in to rear speakers that get used once in a while. I know you can use them with the 7ch matrixes and pro logic and what not but not enough get focused there to invest IMO.

As others have stated use a direct firing speaker like a bookshelf versus the WDST stuff used for side surrounds.