Difference in DD/ DTS & new sound formats

tommyboy

I'm sort of wanting to upgrade my receiver. It's a Pioneer, and it's only about 2 years old. It is HDMI, but does not support the new sound formats. (it's in my signature block) When I bought it, it was the highest "non" elite there was. (to the best of my knowledge) Now, I'm looking at the new pioneer receivers, The cheapest Elite is the one I'm looking at. (Forgot the model number) It has all the new sound formats, etc. But other than that, it's basically the same as the one I have now. It's 750 bucks, and I'm sure I could only get about 2 for mine. So I guess the quesiton is this. My sytem sounds great now. I just want the new sound formats. So would the difference in sound be worth about 500 bucks? Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but the lossless formats are a HUGE step up..

From the minute I spent on google, it appears your receiver will take PCM audio over HDMI, there are options that would let you keep your receiver, and hear the latest formats.

A PS3 will decode the formats and output the sound as 8 channel PCM, for example. Maybe look into upgrading your blu-ray player? (Not necessarily a PS3, but something that will output TrueHD as PCM over HDMI..)

Lately I've been watching 99% Blu-Ray movies compared to standard DVDs. I borrowed the new movie Get Smart on DVD from a co-worker and watched it last night. YECK! The movie was great but the sound was horrible! It sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over my speakers. The dynamics were missing and voices sounded very poor.

Now, a lot of the sound quality obviously has to do with the original recording and mixing but I couldn't believe the sound difference from being used to watching Blu-Rays for so long.

Ya, that's what got me wanting the newer sound formats. Even with my current receiver, the difference in sound was totally night and day. the first movie we watched was Pirates 3, and after just the first preview, me and my girl looked at each other and said "damn"! So now I'm like if just blu ray made THAT much diff, just imagine what a new receiver would do! I'm having a hard time convincing her of it though[:#]

A HT sales guy told me the difference is like when Dolby ProLogic was replaced by Dolby Digital, that is how much the difference is with the new sound formats.

Although I do not have the new sound formats I can not imagine the difference would be as HUGE as the sales guy mentioned, thought I could be wrong as I am writing this with uneducated ears.

Absolutely even without the new sound formats Bluray still sounds fantastic and picture quality with the right screen is incredible.

The Sony S350 could decode the new formats and pass them as LPCM (still lossless), which your current receiver should support (HDMI v1.2). If your systems are configured to work with this settings, then you're not missing out anything (you do use HDMI cable, don't you?)- well, except for having the new formats displayed on the receiver...

I'm am auditioning an Onkyo TX-NR905 with the PS3 - the sound quality of the new formats is nothing short of stunning with the DTS-HD MA demo disc I have on hand :)

Unfortunately I don't run HDMI right now, cuz my TV doesn't have HDMI. I would love to upgrade the TV, but I'm worried I wouldn't be able to sell mine. And as far as I know, you have to have a HDMI tv to run HDMI from the dvd player to the receiver. Or is there a way to only run HDMI for audio, and use component wires for the video?

It depends on the player, but many have all the inputs on all the time. So you could run HDMI for audio only to your receiver and component for video to your TV. You might have to adjust the DVD player's menu to make that happen but its definitely worth a try.

Well, I did what I mentioned. It worked. BUT....... now my receiver says THX Select 2 Cinema, but not all 7 "speaker emblems" light up on the front of it. Just the 5 and LFE. The only setting on the player was from optical to HDMI. I'll mess with it a little more in the morning, and see if it changes anything. My family's sleeping, so I couldn't really listen to anything yet. I'll keep ya posted!

• Moderators

As stated, the best you can do at this point is use HDMI for audio, and Component from the DVD to the TV. If you need to use the receiver to switch between sources, you can go fromt the DVD via component to the receiver, then out from the receiver via component to your TV. Look at the audio settings in your DVD menu to see if it will allow you to send the audio as PCM.

So PCM is what I want then right? I only asked cuz I changed the setting in the player, and now instead of having the DTS emblem lit up in THX mode, it's a PCM emblem. The THX SELECT2 CINEMA emblem is still lit up; it just has the PCM light instead of the DTS one. Is this how it should be? Sorry for my ignorance here guys!!!