I'm ready for HDTV....need some advise please!

montigue

Hey guys,

Once again I am asking my fellow Klipschters for advise on HT upgrade. I want a HDTV peferabally Mitsubishi or Sony. I have $2500 to spend including taxes(out the door). I think ive found one but would appreciate your inputs.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=575196

I want at least a 46" and it has to be HD widescreen.

Please, any feedback is appreciated

Monty

Monty, I have had quite a few widescreens over the years. I have always got the best and most lasting values from Mitsubishi. Currently I have a Mitsu 65" and it has been a consistently great performer... but forget about for sound... that's what Klipsch is for.

My advice is get the biggest and best Mitsubishi HDTV you can find and feed it with component video whenever you can.

Added bonus, the Mitsu HDTV's are very resistant to unshielded speakers providing you keep the speakers behind the front plane of the Mitsu. Creep out a little and your pulling pixels from their intended path.

More later, I'm on a roll... cwm12.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-03-2002 at 01:49 PM

quote:

Originally posted by AMIGATHEBEST:

i have that tv. the mitsubishi is very nice

i have the 46 inch mitsubishi HDTV 1080i, it rocks, that is it. just totally rocks Smile.gif

mitsubishi sells the VAST, and i mean VAST majority of projection TV's, somewheres around 7/10.... that is a good thing Smile.gif

another benifit, say they come out with HDTV2 and you just have a mitsubishi HDTV... not to worry! mitsubishi will let you buy a new decoder, pop it in the back and now YOU have HDTV2! what a great idea

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

montigue-

Not to rain on your party...But i would not buy a full HDTV (ie one with a decoder), buy only an HD Ready. According to the FCC, all stations have to be digital by 2004 (i think). However, IMHO, a good portion of the shows are not going to broadcast in full HDTV, they will most likely be digital signals only at Standard definition. First it is cheaper this way and they can carry 10 std channels instead of 1 HD channel, so they can charge you for 10 more channels of crap. Get a HD Ready so you can watch DVDs in all of their glory and save money on the HD tuner until more stuff is actually broadcast in HD format.

-Dave

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: SVS Ultra + Samson 1000

Dr Pyro,

The pic that I have on my first post is a pic of a mitsu HD ready tv. The salesman told me that the convertor would be an extra $800. (lol thats a joke, for $800 I can almost buy a tv).

I really want a wide screen because of the dvd formats are all in widescreen. I loose too much picture with my Wega.

$2500 is really a lot of dough to fork over thoughcwm36.gif

regards Monty

Hey, Monty, here's an updated photo of my

Mitsubishi 65" RPHD.... with a 102 lbs. of KLF-30 on top for a center. See what you think of the detail I squeezed under the allotted 200k limit. If you know how I can make them larger, please let me know.

I think the HDTV world will be somewhat different when the deadline rolls around. Oh, the tiger is from "Gladiator"... just thought you might like to see how the thing works.

Look forward to your making a deal... I sure spent a lot more than $2,500 but that was some time ago. Enjoy. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-07-2002 at 12:34 AM

my 46" Mitsu. HDTV was $1950, MSRP was like $2200

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

quote:

Originally posted by montigue:

Hey guys,

Once again I am asking my fellow Klipschters for advise on HT upgrade. I want a HDTV peferabally Mitsubishi or Sony. I have $2500 to spend including taxes(out the door). I think ive found one but would appreciate your inputs.

I want at least a 46" and it has to be HD widescreen.

Please, any feedback is appreciated

Monty

ok, now i feel pretty stupid. that is the one i have LoL! i love it. i got it in black though, not the grey color. i have no problems with mine, it is REALLY heavy though, had to lift it 4 feet onto our entertainment center. it has a great picture, and some neat features... if it gets dark in your room, the picture gets darker, if it gets bright, the picture brighter, it has a light sensor on it, very cool. also, ifyou have other mitsu. eqiptment, you can use it's mitsu. iLink deal and,well i don't really know, i don't have any other mitsu. stuff, but it sounds cool enough Smile.gif the universal remote contorl that comes with it rocks. i ahve i think 6 things all programed into it, it even works with the Audio Tornado from Klipsch! (set it to a certain digital cable box to set this up) i highly recommend this tv, it is great.

so many inputs, so little time Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

what class and elagance! very nice ED!

That tv is a widescreen isnt it? Did they even have those years ago?..I didnt think so.

I like the Mistu very much but I went to best buys and for around $1700 I can get a 46" toshiba or panasonic. Im looking at these tv's and I just want one sooo bad. I cant stand the small Wega anymore.

HD WIDESCREEN HERE I COME BABY!!!!!

Ed what happened to to the KLF 10 for front effects? why did you go smaller?

Regards Monty R

Well, Monty, I had three KLF-10's so I decided to make one a center channel and use the other two as mains. So, I went back to the SB-2's that I had for Front Effects last year... and they do get the job done!

I took the photo off this thread, you can see an improved version on the "Techno Soup" thread along with a kite surfing test photo.

The Mitsu is just about 14 months old... it's a 16x9 format 65" widescreen. I have had Mitsu widescreens for over a decade... and have never had a problem I couldn't solve easily. Learning to keep the edge of my speakers from breaking the plane of the screen was key to not having to zero in the screen frequently.

I have had some other widescreens too... like a really big and awesomely clear Hitachi... but it had trouble staying sharp and the techs had to come by far too frequently. I guess I should give them another look, it's been a few years.

Be well. cwm16.gif HornEd... formerly a blockhead picture poster.

quote:

Originally posted by montigue:

hey Justin,

Where did you get the mistu for $1950? Is it widescreen?

I got it from the Home Theator Store. Tweeter Home Entertainment (who will beat anyones price) said that they could not beat or even meet this price, that is was below what they pay for the tv's themselves!

yeah, mine is wide screen hdts.. i think it is model 1080i. I love this thing! Smile.gif

it has like 4 Composite/SVideo inputs, two regualr progressive scan and then one high progressive scan input (i don't know all of the video stuff yetSmile.gif) I can hook up two dvd players, a digital cable box, and a VCR and my digi-cam to this all at once. the remote control as i said is very nice. the picture is great, and the final cover is not real flimsy like SONY's, it is hard like a tube television. don't really know what else to say about it, but for my first nice tv (went to this from a 19inch trinitron LoL) i like it. i can not think of any down points of it, only good... oh yeah, it has a great GUI for doing all the settings. if you have any questions, i will try my best to answer them Smile.gif i just can't think of anything to say off hand.

------------------

-justin

it is wide screen HDTV, not HDTS.... i can't type worth BOSE.Biggrin.gif

------------------

-justin