5 channel vs 6 channel vs 7+ channels

artto

What happens when you have a 6 channel reciever but you only need 5 channel output?

I'm considering purchasing a McIntosh MTH100 reciever. It has 6 channel output. I only have need for L+C+R+LR+RR ~ five channels. Do these units with more than 5 channels automatically sense and configure themsleves for 5.1 surround sound, or even if it has to be set manually, can this be done?

This is for home theater in the main part of the house (living/dining room/kitchen, not a dedicated theater room) so I don't want to hang more speakers or have wires hanging from the walls or trying to conceal them. Five channels works best for the room configuration.

Artto,

Eskimo1 is right, I had an Outlaw 7100 with the Outlaw 950, the 7100 being a 7x100 amp. With the 950 pre setup, I have a 5.1 system, I just connected each speaker to the right speaker output and went thru the menu and all is taken care of. You should have no problems at all with it, good luck. Also post some pictures after everything is set up.

James

Any receiver or preamp/processor can be configured withrelative ease in the menu to handle the number of speakers you want to use.

Five speakers with a 6.1 or 7.1 capable receiver or pre/pro not an issue at all. You go in the menu and select 5.1.Today even modest receivers have more flexibility upscale models from a few years back had.McIntoshmaking only upscale units you should have all the options to set it up to meet your needs.

Although I am not familiar with Mac's setup, for most other modern rigs, the guys are right, artto. You should not have much worry after you study the receiver's manual and become familiar with its setup and operating protocals. Please do post some photos of the room after you've set things up.Best of luck! -Glenn

Thanks everyone. I emailed McIntosh several days ago but still haven't heard back so this helps a lot since I'm watching an auction & may have to jump on it.

All I'm using right now is a small HK AVR130 which I happliy acquired new for the lowly price of $135 a few years ago. After getting the MX130 for everyday use in the music room I thought a MAC upgrade on the HT might be nice, albeit quite a bit more expensive. The more modern MAC soild state equipment (say mid 90's & later) seems to be much better sound quality than the earlier stuff, which to me always sounds kind of dark, dull & opaque. Plus having similar equipment in the music room and HT will make it easier for my better half [:D] And quite frankly I'm getting tired of all the extra complexity myself.