what's what?

reinderspeter

Hello to all in the Klipsch community, this is a first post so excuse the probably stupid questions.

I have recently heard a pair of La Scalas and was mightily impressed. Klipsch speakers are quite scarce overhere (I am from the Netherlands) but my intention is to collect the neccesary parts and build a pair of CornScala. Browsing ebay and the like I get confused about all the different versions of K33/K55/K77. For instance do both 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions exist?

What I am looking for (but haven't found) is an overview of what's what. Does something like this exist?

I hope you guys can help me,

Peter

Welcome to the forum.

I believe your concern is that there might be units out there that are 8 ohm and others that are 16 ohms, and you can't tell the difference by just looking. The short answer, in my view, is that the impedance of the units have not changed significantly over the years. One exception might be the very early days.

K-33 Woofers: Despite the use of the K-33 label the T-S parameters have changed. But the DC voice coil resistance has always been about 3.2 ohms.

K-55 Midrange: There are several different versions of this.

K-55V from Atlas with pushbutton terminals. These used a one piece phase plug.

K-55-V from Atlas with solder terminals. These used two piece phase plugs. The better phase plug has a measurable better high end but Klipsch has said it is not audible.

K-55-M from ElectroVoice. I'm not sure of phase plug structure. Some say they are a dB or two more efficient. I stand to be corrected.

K-55-X from Atlas. This is what is used on the new units. Single piece phase plug.

My guess is that all these should be rated at 10 ohms. In any case, I don't think you're going to run into any big shift in impedance.

K-77 tweeter. This is a rebranded T-35 by ElectroVoice until very recent times. There is a thread about the many variations on the T-35 which EV made. At one early time there were -A and -B and -W variations and the bigger T-350.

Early Klipsch T-35 / K-77 had round Alnico magnets.

Later K-77 had square ceramic magnets. You'll see spec sheets where this is called a University T-35-B. University bought EV, IIRC.

Now Klipsch makes K-77 in the orient. The most recent (last two years?) have with an unusual bracket built in to allow the front to be flush with the plywood but mounted from the rear.

PWK said he selected the best of the K-77 (best high end) to use through quality control. A few decades ago I bought some T-35s from a catalog with no trademark. Maybe they were PWK's rejects. Also, I've read that SpeakerLab in Seattle was selling something very like a T-35 for use in their speakers, like the "SK" version of the Klipsch bass horn. My guess is that these came from EV but I haven't actually examined one.

To answer the question, I have read that early on there were some few 16 ohm T-35s. But I think you'll not run into those.

Others here may have their own comments.

Wm McD

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Could be worth a try to post a "want to buy" note in the Garage Sale section of the forum. It is possible that some forum members would have some spare parts they'd be available to pass on at a reasonable price. I'd prefer this option to Ebay, if I were gathering parts.

The Cornscala is an excellent project. Best wishes for an expeditious and satisfactory completion.

One thought, the CT-125 (from Bob Crites) is an excellent drop in alternative to the K77, if desired.