RSW15 versus Epik Conquest versus SVS PB ultra

askbob1

I love my Epik Conquest! It runs really well with my RF front stage and with my mancave only being 12.5' wide there is plenty of room gain (subwoofer wind tunnel?). I haven't done any measurements but have run test tones in the 14 hz - 30 hz range and this sub just eats those up and delivers as advertised (Nousaine's measurements seem right to me, at least by the seat of my pants). All you have to do is get over the size thing, it's a little too big for most peoples living rooms.

ad11lc.jpg

hey gilbertma, nice looking set-up, especially with the many emo amps! a couple of questions about the epik. does it have good impact being that the cone is so large? how long after you paid for it, did you receive it? their website shows atleast a 3 week delay. last but not least, were the shipping rates reasonable due to the size/weight? i'm sure i can think of a few more, lol! i think i can get over the size issue as long as the performance is that much better than that of the pb13 ultra which is about half the size.

This sub does everything you want for HT including impact and room shaking brute force. For music it was a little bit of a struggle getting it right (for me), some people have reported that room placement makes a big difference. I discovered that getting the cone close to the floor gets the best results so I turned it on it's head and now it's great for music with tight kick drum reproduction. At the time I ordered (July 08) they were advertising 3 weeks and it took around 26 days. The shipping cost is a pain due to the 200 lb+ weight but it is crated up very well so you get what you pay for (just over $1800 total cost). I just looked at their website and the Conquest is the only sub available, all the others are out of stock. I guess size is an issue for most people. The size of the Conquest rewards you with great results though, two thumbs up ... high.

Holy Crap! That thing is a monster. So if you ever need to give someone CPR, just bring them into the mancave, crank up some bass, and you've got automatic chest compressions. My SW-15 is running off an aftermarket BASH amp and it threatens the structural integrity of the house as it is. This puppy would probably literally break stuff, I hope that TV is screwed into some good, strong studs!

• 3 weeks later...

just for fun I thought I would post the results of my RSW15 plus an RT12d (with ARC active for both).

the RT is up front left, and the RSW up front right.

this was taken at the seating position, about 2/3 back from the front

The room is approx 9' h, 15' w, 21' d

post-2122-13819436541078_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

this may not be obvious, but, the blue line represents the corrected response, in the room. it is flat from ~ 18hz out to 60 Hz.

I cross over to the mains, at 55 Hz...

That is interesting and thanks for posting.

I have a front RSW-12 and a rear RSW-15 in my small Home Theater and I saw this http://svsound.com/Newsletter/SVS_AudyessyFront&Back.pdf and wondered how/if it would help my lower end--Not that I am experiencing a problem, but who knows what I'm missing. ;-) It is supposed to be available sometime soon.