new to Klipsch and need advice on new receiver and future purchase of more speakers

carbon summit

I’m new to Klipsch speakers and to better stereo as a whole. I say better because from what I’ve seen on this site so far there are Klipsch that cost way more than I’m wanting to pay, but the center I just bought was way more than I wanted to pay… This is the start of something good/bad, depending if you’re my ears or my wallet!!!

I’ve searched the forum and found a lot of great answers but now I figure I’ll ask my questions in a post specifically for my situation. There seems to be so many variables with what sounds good with what and I have no idea what goes into picking a receiver based on real quality instead of power ratings and options.

My story:

The last receiver I bought was in 1990. It was a Sony STR-AV1020...(waiting for the snickers to stop). I really thought I had something back then. I was one of the first receivers I saw that had surround sound and at 250 watts a side max at 4 ohms I thought I had quite a beast. I had a friend at this time I was buying this receiver who was into Klipsch speakers and other high end equipment. He tried his best to explain the concept of quantity vs. quality but I wasn’t listening. I bought the Sony and a pair of big cheap speakers and was on my way.

Well I should throw in here I am also tight. If I buy something I want it to last a long time. If I had bought the stuff my friend suggested I’d probably still own it and be happy since the speakers I’ve bought recently were all made around that same era.

Well maybe I’ve gotten wiser as I’ve gotten older because this time I want to put together a system that has some quality to it that I can enjoy, not just own for years to come. The old Sony recently stopped working on the right front from time to time so this was the excuse my tight *** needed to get a new receiver! No point in fixing an 18+ year old Sony, that’s for sure.

Some how I purchased a set of KG 3.2s. I say somehow because I was going to read up here and figure out exactly what I wanted and plan my system but it didn’t happen. I was thinking in the future I’d use them for my rear channels, but for now I’ll use them as my fronts. I was thinking I’d find a KG 2.2V or something similar for my center but the owner of the near perfect 3.2s I bought also had an Academy that was like brand new.

My logic here was someday I’ll have bigger/better front speakers and need a better center so that damn thing ended up following me home a few days later. He used the 3.2s for rears and obviously the Academy as his center. He had a set of Choruses as his fronts but they had some flaws and shipping them would have been too expensive to make it worth while. When I say bigger/better I’m not knocking the 3.2s, I just picture bigger front speakers in my dream system. Maybe I’m wrong to think I need that.

OK sorry for the novel, I try to wrap this up.

I need suggestions on a new receiver. I want quality but I don’t want to spend a small fortune. $250 to $500 range. I’m not sure if I really want/need 7.1 or better (I saw an 11.2 the other day, where does it end?!?!), I was thinking just a 5.1 since there is so little out there that is actually 7.1 yet I’m not sure if its worth it. So recommendations on 5.1 vs. 7.1, and I want it to be XM ready.

Suggestions on where do I go from here with my Klipsch family? Is the Academy a good match for the 3.2’s as fronts? I hope so because I’ve noticed some people suggest getting another set of 3.2’s and use them front and rear which is an option I’m considering. I’ve also got my eye on a set of 4.2’s that are on craigslist but I have not heard back from the seller yet. And I’ve also thought about getting a set of 2.2’s or smaller for the rear since they are smaller and be easier to work into my living room. Yeah I’m all over the map on this.

Sub suggestions or advice on picking out a sub to match the system? Is there an order to the way I should be buying my pieces?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I bet years from now I’ll read this post and laugh at myself. Damn newbie!!

I'm using a Harman AVR254 right now, though it's not permanent, as I'm waiting for a new pre-amp to be released.. but.

It's a good unit. Pretty flexible, and auto EQ works quite well. Decodes all the current suround formats.

I can't speak to the amplifier section as I'm using it as a pre-amp, but the OSD is good (if a little bit slow to respond).

I don't like that it always tries to upscale the video signal to something, so I manually set each input to output whatis received by the unit, as I'm not very impressed with the upscaling in the unit. My projector does a better job at it.

Whatever you choose, if you want it to last as your system evolves, it needs to have a good number of HDMI inputs, decode all the surround formats, have pre-out for an outboard amp, and in this day, I'd expect some sort of auto-eq.

If you get the AVR254, do the firmware update as soon as you take it out of the box..

The Yammy 663 was also in the running, but it wasn't available locally...but it's received very good writeups.

Carbon - We sound of like mind. I have my first pair of Klipsch speakers (KG4) bought in the mid-80s. I'm frugal, as well. I don't think you'll find a better value than old-school Klipsch speakers (with all due respect to the current line up). You can usually sell them years later for what you paid for them.

For a receiver, I've become a fan of Onkyo - they are really kicking some hiney in terms of feature/functionality/sound right now. You can often find great values on factory refurb units at www.shoponkyo.com.

Regarding speakers - think long term. If you intend to get larger main speakers, and want to stay with legacy speakers, keep that Academy. It's the ideal center for a pair of used Forte or Chorus speakers. And the Academy is relatively hard to come by. I'm using one with my Chorus mains now, and I like it a lot.

I have the Yamaha 663 and am very happy with it.

I completely understand your story and will tell you to get what you can afford and upgrade as you see fit. Quests afterall are a journey. Someday I'll upgrade my Polk Monitor 70 tower surrounds - but for now they work just fine. They used to be the mains with Bose 201's as the rears - so imagine my upgrade list.

Just stay on the path of enlightenment. [H]

I've been googling looking for a good deal on a receiver. I keep finding comments like this:

IMO, I think the Klipsch are excellent speakers, but can be on the bright side and the Yamaha sound is also very detailed, but very bright as well. I don't think it would be a good combo.

I think something warmer would be a better receiver choice, to help control the famous Klipsch high end. Look at Denon or Harman/Kardon. You will get just as much sound detail and features as the Yamahas, but with a significantly smoother sound.

I know a few people have suggested the Yamaha RX-V663 and that is the one I was kind of leaning towards but now I wonder.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone get a Yamaha and was disappointed in the sound?

My second choice is looking to be Harman Kardon AVR254 and third a few Onkyo's have caught my eye for the price.

• Moderators

Anyone get a Yamaha and was disappointed in the sound?

Not at all. I love my new Yamaha. Rock your face off for HT and very detailed for 2ch. My previous HK AVR55 I loved for 2ch, HT it was good but did not have enough power at high volumes. Ran out of gas too early for me. My Onkyo that I am selling is fantastic for HT, but is not as detailed for 2ch for my taste.

I guess it depends on what your intended use is. My Yamaha 663 controls all my sound from simple TV viewing (news/sports) to CD's to DVD's. The Klipsch (and Polk Monitor 70 Towers) are remarkable accross this wide application. Set on 7 channel stereo for normal TV and CD's and Sci-Fi for movies. I don't profess to be nearly as knowleable as many here about the intricacies of "bi-wire" and "crossovers" and separate amps for different speaker sets and replacing drivers etc, but I do know what my ears like, and my ears really like listening to good music (3rd Force/Govi) and great movies (King Arthur/Star Wars/Ronin) on my system. To me the Legend of Klispch is the Legendary Legends - but I am just one opinion. The Yamaha simply allows the Klispch speakers to do what they were designed for - deliver great sound.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I ended up going with the Yamaha 663. Tonights the first night with it and so far I just love it.

For fronts I've got KG 5.2's, for rears KG 3.2's, for center I'm using a KV-2.

I've got a Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 on the way off of ebay.

I bought the KV-2 in a package deal with a pair of KG 2.5's. I asked him if he'd split the center from the 2.5's and he wouldn't so I asked what the set would cost and he only wanted $100 for everything. I saw a pair of KG 2.5's had just sold on ebay for $79 so I figure I can't get hurt too bad on that deal. I could use the 2.5's if I wanted to do a 7.1 instead of 5.1 but the way my living room is set up 7.1 wouldn't work that well.

I looked at a pair of Chorus but decided to pass for the time being. From everything I've read says at or before 20 years they are going to need crossovers. The crossovers from Bob Crites cost more than the 5.2's I went with instead. I'm not saying the crossovers aren't worth the price or anything negative or that I think the 5.2's are a even substitute for Chorus, just that after buying the Yamaha 663, the 3.2's and the Academy my wallet needs a chance to catch up and the 5.2's seemed like a good match for a lot less money. So a little change of plans, I'll wait on the Chorus and put the Academy safe in the closet.

When I decided to wait on the Chorus I decided I'd better get a different center and found that KV-2. Is that a good center for what I've got? I see the 2.2V or 1.2V are shown as related products for the 5.2's but the KV-2 on shows up for the 3.5's, but not the 5.5's. I guess be it the way the 663 auto adjusts everything or I just don't know better but I think everything sounds great now, and can't wait for the sub to arrive and re-auto adjust again!!

One thought on the sub. Do you think if I'd have gotten the Chorus I'd still need a sub?

Oh yeah the other reason I'm so quick to put the Academy away is I've got a 6 year old son and the thought of it falling off the TV haunts me. Maybe by the time I get something different for fronts he'll be older and it will be safer!!!! I get the vibe that some think of the KGs as a little bit lower on the food chain but I truely am thrilled with the way everything sounds. Maybe I just don' t know what I'm missing but for now this work for me.