COMMUNITY LIGHT AND SOUND BASS HORN LENSE HELP!

DIXIEWELDER

Hey guys i bought two lascalla's this weekend and they came with a huge bass horn lense loaded with a 15" electro voice 15b woofer.

The lense is a community light and sound fiberglass lense and it has a port cut out on the bottom in the middle.

I think it measures 35"x35" square. The port is just an elliptical cut out in the lense. It has no tube on the back of it for a port.

I need dimensions for a cabinet. It is in one right now, but it's home made and i don't know if it's the right sixe or not. And it's ugly!

Can anyone help? I've called community, but they were'nt real helpful. I think it was made in 1980.

This thing could really rock and i want to use it to it's full potential. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks;

Joshua

Hey guys i bought two lascalla's this weekend and they came with a huge bass horn lense loaded with a 15" electro voice 15b woofer.

The lense is a community light and sound fiberglass lense and it has a port cut out on the bottom in the middle.

I think it measures 35"x35" square. The port is just an elliptical cut out in the lense. It has no tube on the back of it for a port.

I need dimensions for a cabinet. It is in one right now, but it's home made and i don't know if it's the right sixe or not. And it's ugly!

Can anyone help? I've called community, but they were'nt real helpful. I think it was made in 1980.

This thing could really rock and i want to use it to it's full potential. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks;

Joshua

Very cool Josh. Congratulations on the La Scalas. Post pics of your score.

Did you get through to their Tech Support department?

As I remember, the box for the horn you describe is pretty simple cube-like affair, perhaps with some internal bracing. Community in those days were big and ugly, but loud as hades.

M

hey, did you get that email with the logos?

Yeah colter. I will start on them asap. The port cut out is what i'm conserned about.

Do i build a port up to the cut out or what? Can anybody give me some dimensions on a possible box size? Woofer is a electro voice 15b.

I know the horn lense is going to play a part in the enclosure size but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Joshua

No to the port, it's just a hole in the fibreglass and stays that way. It's a real simple box construct as I recall, if it's the very early Community black glass horn I'm thinking of. It was a 'kit' thing where they sold the horn and you build the box. About 3' cube. Your box is probably just what they designed.

M

Josh,

Read this

http://www.community.chester.pa.us/files/brochures/Community%2040%20Years.pdf

history of the CSL company. You'll see the Levithan in there and a small ad with the title 'Power Tools'. Although it's a small ad, I think your speakers are shown in there. I'll bet someone at CSL has data sheets on your horns, they were sticklers about measuring and documenting everything.

Community I think makes some pretty good stuff.

Our daughters' high school just upgraded a few of their fields with new PA's consisting of a couple of smallish 12" 2 way Community outdoor PA speakers, a Tascam CD / cassette player, and a Peavey mixer amp. I hope whoever did the install added the 125 hz cutoff the manual recommends or some kid will probably overly crank the bass and destroy the bass drivers. The Peavey mixer amps have something like a pair of 300 watt amplifers into 4 ohms so a whole lot more power than they really need as they're very efficient. Work very good for announcements. Not so great for music but not half bad either. It's nice to acutallyl be able to hear the announcer for a change.

• 3 weeks later...

Good point Thumpster!

Just build the TL bin and install the port block. This lowers the cabinet's tuning. You used to be able to get nice 'how to build' plans from EV. I have a set around here somewhere. I have two of the single 15" TL bins and one 18" so could get measurements if you need them.

Check EV's website. TL606 seems to ring a bell. Thumper?

• 4 weeks later...