How to get RB-61's on the ceiling?

abjonesiii

Hey guys quick question. After years of waiting and wanting i finally got me dream system.

RF-82's

RC-64

RS-62's

RSW 10

RB-61's

So here's the question. I got the RB-61's to use as backs in the 7.1, to be mounted on the ceiling behind the last row of seats. Does anyone know how to mount that big a speaker to the ceiling? Seeing as how the RB-61's have no holes on the rear of the speaker to attach a bracket too? I'm stuck any help is greatly appreciated.

No, I don't know how to put them on the ceiling because they're not designed to be hung on the ceiling. I don't even think there is a mount that you could buy to do it either? I wouldn't put anything in or on the ceiling except in wall/ceiling speakers. I definitely; HIGHLY recommend AGAINST trying to put those on teh ceiling. Just my 2 cents.........

• Moderators

Tommy is correct. Is there any certain reason why you want to mount them to the ceiling? Is it because you do not have a back wall? If that is the case, I don't think you are wanting to mount the speaker to the ceiling but a mounting bracket so you can angle the speakers downward towards the listening area. Are you willing to screw into your speakers? Some of the Omnimounts require that you screw into the back of the speaker. I personally would not want to do this. Let us know some more details and we'll do our best to help ya out. Welcome to the forums.

easy solution. i own a pair of rb-61's and have them on my wall now. (when i post pics of set up in ht section it may be a little clearer).

go to lowes or home depot. there you will fine an "L" bracket. you want the biggest one they make. lowes sells it for around $5.50 each. (need 4ea). i don't know the exact size of the bracket but with the speaker sitting on it, the bracket is about 3" from the front edge (of the speaker), and about 6" from the top (of the speaker). what you are going to do is mount them inverted. so when the speaker is sitting on them, the other portion of the bracket is hidden from view. you don't need a board for them to sit on either. they become invisible is you are looking at the speakers. you want the brackets about 5" apart (inside edge from inside edge). that gives you plenty of room for a wall plate and stability for the speaker. the speaker will hang over those two brackets by about 3/8." now for mounting them on the wall, if the location is directly on a stud, then just the simple wood screws will work. if it's on the drywall part, you want to buy some screws/ancors that fit the mounting hole size. (they will be a little big). what i did was buy the screws and ancors and then bought the wood counter sunk screws so they would fit flush in the bracket. (all the screw and ancor kits will have button head screws). each screw and ancor will hold around 150lb, so 5 of them installed will do the trick, no worries.....lol. i then painted it all black, screws included, and you can't even see it. as for the bottom of the brackets i used black "speed" tape to provide protection.

that should do you very well. that is if you don't want them angled....lol you didn't mention it so i didn't know.

s there any certain reason why you want to mount them to the ceiling?  Is it because you do not have a back wall? 

Exactly. My theater room is 16 feet by about 30 feet. my last row of seating is about 12 feet from the screen. i was wanting to be able to mount the backs on the ceiling about five feet behind that. Around 17 ft from front wall. That leaves me 13 ft to the back wall which seems like too far back to place the backs. And i didn't really want the backs on stands in the floor behind the seats because the rest of the room is behind the seats and that takes up floor space and gives people something to knock over.

So the ceiling seems like the logical place just angled slightly down. I just underestimated the size and weight of the RB-61's and inherent lack of mounting options.

well there i go again, i don't read all of the question. that bracket style won't work that way....duh....

are you good with wood working? if so, you can screw a 2x4 to the ceiling, then screw a piece of plywood to that (making a vertical hanging wall mount). then the next step would be cutting a horizantal piece (at what ever angle you need, and bracket those together. (you would have to bend those bracket to match the angle you created with the 2 pieces of plywood. then you would just need to screw in a 1.5" or 2" wood trim to the front to stop the speaker from sliding off.

i don't know how clear that is on paper, but in my head it makes perfect sence! lol

• Moderators

Tommy, his last row is 12' and the room is 30' so his rear speakers would be 18' behind the listening area which would be way too far back. My guess is that your rears are only a few feet behind you.

Not sure about abj but having speakers on stands is not an option in my house with four children that are 2yrs - 9yrs old. Daddy would not be happy if his speakers came crashing down.

are you good with wood working?

In "real life" (lol) I'm a general contractor so building or fabricating something is really no problem.

So back to the question, are you willing to screw into the back of your speaker?

I'm not opposed to it. I can make a bracket, open the speaker up and thread some rods trough it to attach it. I guess my main concern is, is the RB-61's construction strong enough that the back panel can support its weight (25 pounds) over time and under stress from vibrations??

Why don't you want to use stands?

I sir am clumsy. If I even have to walk by the speaker I'm old enough to know that i will inevitably trip over, tear the wire from the floor, break the stand, and spend all evening at the hospital have the speaker surgically removed. :)

I have my KV-2's wall mounted.. (the other wall is just standard drywall)

Posted Image

I
got the wall inserts from lowes or HD, the ones that are 50lbs rated
each.. put those in the wall. then, we added 2 of the beefiest
looking key-hole mounts to the speaker.. VERY solid mounting, and I have no doubt they could hold the 25lbs of yours at all.

Another alternative you could try is ordering some of the wall-mounts from a large Klipsch wall-mount speaker, and
screwing those into the cabinet. My KSP-S6's weigh almost as much as
the rb-61's you have... but the brackets are about $5 each from
klipsch and really don't seem any better than the stuff from the store.

Look at it this way, there are many piecs of artwork that weigh far more than 25lbs being hung with these parts.. ;)