Which under $1K tube amp for RF7

VALGOLFS

Love the RF7s for movies and REALLY GOOD vinyl. The big problem is a lot of my recordings are not top shelf and they sound harsh IMO. The top end is killing me at times in 2 CH. My gear MMF5, HK AVR635, OPPO DVD, RF7, RC7, SVS 20-39PC+. Room is 15x25x8, carpet sofa, some wall treatment. I'm thinking stick a tube amp in the path for LR and sweeten that top end. Well which amp? Jolida, Quicksilver... I listen to all types of music, rock jazz classical. I had a Primaluna in for a time but that was a big mistake, too revealing. So now I ask you for assistance.

I thank you ahead of time for your time.

Steve

Of the two you mentioned Quicksilver Audio would get my vote. The build, reliability, and customer support are top notch. If 25 watts are adequate either the mini mites, or horn monos will fill the bill while the mid monos put out 50 watts. If you call QS more times than not Mike Sanders will answer the phone and chat as long as you like. All three are a tube rollers dream allowing you to use EL-34s, KT-66s, KT-77s, 6L6, 6550s, KT-88s, or KT-90s. If new is too pricey check out audiogon.com and browse power tube amps for some used deals. The early Jolida products suffered some quality control issues I am told but their newer offerings including the popular Jolida 100 cdp are built like tanks with great fit and finish.

Are you sure it was the Primaluna that was too revealing?

The top end is killing me at times in 2 CH.

How far is the wall behind the 7's? Try putting some absorption on the wall behind the horns only......worked for me. I went a few steps further and heavily treated my room with Auralex and GIK acoustic products. Man am I glad I did. For the first time my 7's actually have a warm sound to them. I'm hearing my speakers now......not the room. [Y]

Good Luck. [:D]

To me, the Heritage line would benefit more from tubes than the Reference line. the RF-7's need a stout amp that can deal with the occasional impedance drop that the RF-7's have. Will most tube amps be OK with a drop to about 2.8 Ohms occasionally? I don't know enough about tube amps to say, others should chime in here. They may be fine, they may fry, I have no experience with tubes on mine. I installed a 99 cent resistor in my networks (as recommended by Dean G) and immediately took the edge off the top end.

I installed a 99 cent resistor in my networks (as recommended by Dean G) and immediately took the edge off the top end.

CECAA850,

Could you describe how you installed the resistor? Any soldering involved? What kind of resistor and where to buy it?

A 99 cent upgrade with positive results is always worth looking into. [:D]

Anyone that wants info on the mod can PM me. I've still my e-mail correspondance from Dean that describes how to do it. Yes there's soldering involved but it's very easy and NO desoldering is involved (the way I did it). Parts express sells the resistors. Shipping actually costs more than the parts themselves. It's an awesome mod IMO. I did both my RF-7's and my RC-7. The speakers are much more listenable at higher volumes now, but still every bit as dynamic.