Hoping for some advice on speakers

Icompose

Hi folks,

I purchased the Onkyo 876 for a receiver - Might be a bit over kill, but I like the thing...

I'm stuck with my 50" plasma for now, but considering a 65" DLP or projector

And for the speakers, Klipsch RF-82 tower speakers, RC-52 centre channel, RS-42 surround rear speakers, and the RW-10D subwoofer - All from future shop

Am I on the right track?This is mainly for the home HT, but I intend to listen to a lot of music as well. My taste in music is very diverse - From Eric Clapton (which includes lots of acoustic guitars) to smooth reggae music or even.”Soaring, husky baritone type music," like that of Seal. I'm not partial to heavy rock.I would really appreciate any constructive criticism with this setup. Should I spend a bit more and get the rf-83s? I like the clarity of these (Klipsch) speakers, but I keep hearing they Klipsch tend to lack in the lower end (bass) and considering I do listen to reggae, this might pose a problem. Thanks in-advance for your time. I look forward in sharing my pictures and experiences with you guys

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

If you are looking at getting the RF-82 then I would suggest to get the matching center channel speaker, timber match is what you are looking for in the front three speakers. Here is the total RF-82 setup, http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-82-home-theater-system.aspx. Other then that just remember, get as much speaker as you can afford then sit back and enjoy.

James

BTW, everything else will be just fine, TV and receiver....

First and foremost, welcome to the forum. The only change I would immediately make with your setup is return the RC-52 and purchase the RC-62. A good friend of mine has a similar system and the RC-52 just does not keep up with the RF-82's. Your front soundstage should transition from left to right as seamless as possible. Second, consider changing the sub to an RW-12d or RSW-10d(if you want all Klipsch system). The RW-10d doesn't dip that much lower than the RF-82's(28hz vs 33hz).

Ultimately the RF-83's are a better choice if your budget allows. Keep in mind you should also take Klipsch's advice and combine them with the recommended speakers to compliment them. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-83-home-theater-system.aspx. I personally would choose the RF-63 system(6.5 in woofers all around the room), mainly because I already have the RF-63's.

Bill

My taste in music is very diverse - From Eric Clapton (which includes lots of acoustic guitars) to smooth reggae music or even.”Soaring, husky baritone type music," like that of Seal. I'm not partial to heavy rock.I would really appreciate any constructive criticism with this setup. Should I spend a bit more and get the rf-83s?

Since you listen to alot of music rf 83 is better i found these reproduce voices more naturally and have more natural sound to them.Infact listenning to rf 83 and rf 82 side by side there is a huge quality difference which is immediately obvious.For music front speakers are the most important so go with rf 83.Quality difference is not just in the bass rf 83 produce better mid range.rf 82 is good for movies but rf 83 is better for music.try to get rf 83 if u can afford it as this will be a one time investment.

Well I have to say, you guys are remarkable for your quick responses,

along with invoking thought. I really appreciate it!

So here’s what happened; I'm a car hauler in BC Canada, and I'm on the road right

now - So I went over with my fiancé, your comments and recommendations, and to

my surprise, she said "Well I have to have more bass, in addition, it's

better we make the investment now for the right things. Here I am, trying to

save money and not spending too much, and she’s like "it didn't have

enough bass for her." I'm really bug eyed right now, as I can't

understand how my lady thinks all the time! But that's ok - It's all

about love!

Anyhow, I think I am going to return the items back to future shop,

and purchase the Rf-83s, the Rc-64, and the Rs-62 - To save some money, as much

as it was recommended (and I appreciate it) I will hold off from the Rt-12 for

now. From what I've been reading, the Rf-83 will have more than enough

bass for our area. I'll just keep an eye out for one (Rt-12) going for a

great deal.

I'm assuming this should be ok...

Again guys/gals, thanks for your time and support.

Cheers

That is a great woman that you have..... [Y]

I must have her sister as my girlfriend because she said something similar....

If you want you can take a look at other subs besides ones made by Klipsch. http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/index.html http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php Here are the two that come to mind that are good sub and the prices are great.

James

Post some pictures when you have the RF-83 setup...

Ok so here goes...

I went back to with my van filled with the returns. I ended up talking to the manager, whom apparently suggested I go with 4 rf-82s. He said he has six (2fronts, 2sides, and 2rears). He says due to his large space he prefers the 82s at the sides rather than normal surrounds? In-addition he also said he has heared listened to both the 82s and 83s, and He couldn't really tell them apart, other than the 83s have a little more bass, but for the price difference, it's not worth it... The price he offered for 4 rf-82s were $2100.00 - Normally 4 it would be $2999.96 (This is Canadian) Now I know he is trying to sell a product, butI have to look at the fact that he did offer me a really great reduction in price for the 82s...Any thoughts???

Ok now I am starting to pull my hair out (if I wasn't bald)

So would you guys suggest me going with 4 rf-82s, (rs-52s or rs-62s) surrounds, or no surrounds, and the rc-62, in-addition to a good sub?

Or is it best to remain with my original change and go with the rf-83s for fronts, rs-62s, and rc-64 and a good sub?

Going with the rf-82s would save quite a bit of money, but that's not so much of a concern as it is with the choice of speakers. My area is approx 12' wide and our length is quite long at this time, till I put up a new wall. I was considering making the length between 20-25feet.

Thanks again lads...