Klipsch Speakers for SE EL84... Cornwall-Forte-Chorus II ??????

Neff

I been looking at options. Kind of turned off DIY wood working skills & Altec 604's for an ante of $2K+ in huge cabs. A single full range driver is not likely an option for me either. My listening room is 14 x 20. My amp is modified to the 9th degree and is worthy of high quality speakers.

The speakers I been considering are Cornwall (a bit large), original Forte or Chorus II. I understand the original Chorus has a port issue. I am sensitive to that beloved warm tube sound that is to me if I understand the word right distortion and smearing. Not my cup of tea & many stock vintage amps sound like that. Even one tube such as a 12AU7 will ruin the whole show. I am also concerned with a screaching or overly bright horn, but desire the high efficiency. Musical bass is my desire, powerful bass is not necessary.

If you want the best as far as placement flexibility, go with the Cornwalls. They are front ported versus the Forte and Chorus II rear passive radiators.

From what I've read Fortes and Cornwalls are much easier for an amp to drive than Chorus IIs.

I'm partial to Fortes and having replaced the crossovers I am enjoying them immensely.

I second the re-think on the La scala's....but if not the Cornwalls, IMO kill the forte and Chorus any day...

There are many many a fine amp- preamp that use 12Au7 in the driver stage that are extremely transparent.......so I don't know what you mean about smearing??? Have you heard any 12AU7 driver stages that you didn't like.....plenty of vintage amps are overly warm, colored, wooly......many modern tube amps out SS....SS....conversly many SS amps do the tube thing better than tubes......

Lots of fine SS and Digital amps also that are not harsh sounding at all....just a matter of what flavor you like