suggestions for Cornwall cabinet upgrade

I have a pair of '84 Cornwalls and I would like to tighten them up. I'm thinking of adding internal braces and I have found threads of this being done to Heresy cabs but not Cornwalls. Does anyone have suggestions to help me tighten these up? I figured the same principles would apply and was thinking of using 3/4" oak, 2 braces verticle attaching to the port shelf, 2 horozontal equally spaced btw the top and the port shelf and 2 running front to back with all three intersecting at the same point. I would add 2 new screws to the back panel where the braces line up with it. is it really worth the time and effort to do this or should I just leave well enouh alone?

Guest David H

Does anyone have a a working link to "Equalizing Klipsch Cornwall" by Roger Floth? I found and saved a pdf of this a few years ago but lost it in the great hard drive crash of '09.

I dont, but as I recall the idea was to lower the response to 25hz, and this was done by lengthening the port to 14 inches. In my experience lengthening the port often results in boomy undesireable bass.

Cabinet stiffening is a good thing, however keep in mind some cab resonance is part the Cornwalls charm that we have been enjoying for the past several decades.

Dave

This is just a simulation of what occurs by extending the shelf, this a close but not exact Cornwall model.

post-24405-13819800575906_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have a a working link to "Equalizing Klipsch Cornwall" by Roger Floth? I found and saved a pdf of this a few years ago but lost it in the great hard drive crash of '09.

Here Ya Go.................................

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/cornwall_mod.htm

Thats the only one I could find too, but it doesnt work

I was having trouble reading the .jpg. So I converted to a .pdf. Attached

It is interesting to see the author's comments saying that Klipsch speakers reproduce quiet passages with the input at micro-watt levels. Others, including myself, had reached a similar conclusion. In my view, amplifier performance should be considered at such a level but I've never seen data from amp manufacturers at that level.

WMcD

Equalizing the Klipsch Cornwall.pdf

I dont, but as I recall the idea was to lower the response to 25hz, and this was done by lengthening the port to 14 inches. In my experience lengthening the port often results in boomy undesireable bass.

They're boomy enough already... Maybe that's why I like my La Scalas so much.

Bruce

They're boomy enough already... Maybe that's why I like my La Scalas so much.

Bruce

I think the shelf remained the same size....it looks like what was done is that guides were put in to lenthen the distance of exist travel using a maze effect.

Guest David H

I think the shelf remained the same size....it looks like what was done is that guides were put in to lenthen the distance of exist travel using a maze effect.

It looks like you are correct, however has the same effect.

Dave

Guest David H

Maybe that's why I like my La Scalas so much.

Probably, however I much preferred my Lascala's with the port mod. They still retained folded horn speed and accuracy, but would really dig deep.

Dave

I have never felt the stock LaScala had enough bottom end for my tastes & I have always preferred the Cornwall over the LaScala sound on the bottom end & now with a CornScala mod I have the best of both worlds .

BUT that is the differences in personal tastes ,

some swear by the LaScala being the best since sliced white bread ,

With Me , back in the 70's I had the choice between the LaScala & the Cornwall . We had a Klipsch dealer in my home town at the time of Anchorage AK . That dealer had the whole Klipsch Hearitage line on display & in listening rooms , cash was not a deciding factor , I liked the Cornwall way better than the LaScala hands down , to this day I still prefer the bass reflex bin over a folded horn . I like the CornScala over a KHorn as well.

Adding bracing is one thing , but altering the ports is completely a different animal when modding a Cornwall bass bin .

bracing on my bins has added a tightness to the bass response, reduced the bloated feel to them & not added any boomy effects .