ALK Trachorn vs. Jubilee

tjnif

Bear in mind that there are certain limitations with the 902s. Unlike phenolic dias, which go lower on the bottom end much more easily, 902s have aluminum dias. Altec recommended running them no lower than 500 hz on the bottom, and I've known people that crossed them over that low on the bottom. Terry crossed his pair of 902s over at 400 hz first order on the bottom - and I do not believe he ever had a problem.

Personally, I get into the volume too much, spl-wise, to have ever taken a chance by crossing them over at 400 hz. They could probably take it so long as a volume junkie was not laying into the volume k500 hz rnob. For about three months, I crossed the 902s over at 500 hz, 18 db
and 24 db slopes, with my Khorns and there did not appear to be a hole
in the 350-ange with the Khorn bass bin. As you probably know, whether the Khorn bass bin can cleanly do 400 hz-500 hz has been a controversial subject over the years and there are plenty of discussions about that in the archives. Of course, when using 902s with LaScalas, Belles, or even Cornwalls, you have more flexibilty because you can move that crossover point higher with those bass bins/horns. When I eventually grab a pair of 902s for my Belles, I am going to cross them over at 700 hz on the bottom.

902s do sound cleaner the higher that you can cross them over on the bottom end. As Maron knows, after I lived with the 902/Khorn combo for awhile - I then went insane and ended up adding reinforcement to the mid-bass. But that's a whole 'nother discussion for a different time. I currently cross over my 902s at 800 hz on the bottom. I will say, however, that they sounded very good crossed over at 500 hz on the bottom. They sound even better crossed over at 800 hz - and the difference is only really noticeable when I really like to lean into the volume knob.

Good luck if you take the 902 plunge.

Carl.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to xover at 600hz with steep slope.

Bear in mind that there are certain limitations with the 902s. Unlike phenolic dias, which go lower on the bottom end much more easily, 902s have aluminum dias. Altec recommended running them no lower than 500 hz on the bottom, and I've known people that crossed them over that low on the bottom. Terry crossed his pair of 902s over at 400 hz first order on the bottom - and I do not believe he ever had a problem.

Personally, I get into the volume too much, spl-wise, to have ever taken a chance by crossing them over at 400 hz. They could probably take it so long as a volume junkie was not laying into the volume k500 hz rnob. For about three months, I crossed the 902s over at 500 hz, 18 db and 24 db slopes, with my Khorns and there did not appear to be a hole in the 350-ange with the Khorn bass bin. As you probably know, whether the Khorn bass bin can cleanly do 400 hz-500 hz has been a controversial subject over the years and there are plenty of discussions about that in the archives. Of course, when using 902s with LaScalas, Belles, or even Cornwalls, you have more flexibilty because you can move that crossover point higher with those bass bins/horns. When I eventually grab a pair of 902s for my Belles, I am going to cross them over at 700 hz on the bottom.

902s do sound cleaner the higher that you can cross them over on the bottom end. As Maron knows, after I lived with the 902/Khorn combo for awhile - I then went insane and ended up adding reinforcement to the mid-bass. But that's a whole 'nother discussion for a different time. I currently cross over my 902s at 800 hz on the bottom. I will say, however, that they sounded very good crossed over at 500 hz on the bottom. They sound even better crossed over at 800 hz - and the difference is only really noticeable when I really like to lean into the volume knob.

Good luck if you take the 902 plunge.

Carl.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to xover at 600hz with steep slope.

600 hz with steep slope - no problem. You'll enjoy their sound.

Carl.