What is an amplifier/stereo reciever? Please inform me about this...

Pauw

Hi, I'm planning on getting the klipsch rb-61, yet have read conflicting views on what reciever to get. The speakers are already pushing my budget to the limit, and I just need a <$200 amplifier/reciever to make them sound good, maybe not perfect

Are you looking for something used, not too much new in that price range. Is this going to be only for 2-channel or are you looking to get something with 5.1?

If you don't mind older gear look out for Yamaha CR-xx20, Marantz 22xx,and Harman Kardon x30. Those three are 2-channel and sound great with the Heritage line, should be fine to push the RB-61.

James

In response to the title of your post, a receiver is a component that combines in one unit a pre-amp (used to control volume, select between different sources like CD, DVD, Phono, TV, etc., as well as boost the signal a bit), a power amplifier (which may have 1, 2, 5 or 7 channels or even 3 or 4, and boosts the signal to a level that the speakers can use), and a tuner (which lets you receive radio broadcasts).

A stereo receiver has two channels, but an AV (Audio-Visual) receiver will usually have 5, 6, or 7 channels.

If it's an AV receiver, it will also contain decoders for Dolby or DTS-encoded signals, as well as other formats.

Thanks for the suggestions, but would 50 watts per channel really drive them? The klipsch website says the rb-61 has 100W RMS / 400W Peak. I've a conondrum in that I don't trust used item sites. Though its a bit more expensive, would the

Harman Kardon HK 3490 2 x 120W Stereo Receiver

fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

By the way these speakers are for my father, and he has a preference for 2 channel only systems. He also prefers nothing floorstanding and has great open cabinets. I'm hoping the rb61 would be ideal in this circumstance?

Your advice is invaluable

50 watts is more than enough for those speakers which are 95db efficient. 25 watts would be more than enough to drive most people out of a normal size room. I lived with my 94db Klipsch kg4's (which are floorstanders) driven by a 30 watt receiver with NO complaints. Unless your father really likes to turn things WAY up, then I'd say the Yamaha should be more than adequate. Harman Kardon is an excellent option as well, and so would NAD albeit more money.

RB61 is good choice if you want to install them in cabinets. The bass port is located on the front of those speakers.

Watts are so bizarely rated that anything from 50-100 watts per channel is fine. It takes double the wattage to make a significant difference in sound, so extra power is utilized only for musical peaks. Look at features and brand name. Does he need a remote for this system, make sure it has one if that is a concern.

I have a Yamaha 2 channel system in my bedroom and am very happy with it. It has a sleep timer and remote so works very well for me. I also like the variable 'loudness' (not volume) control that Yamaha stereo receivers have, it give more deep bass boost at low listening volumes.

Michael