So I'm probably taking a trip from NJ down to Alabama

Jay481985

For the PapaJohn's bowl in Birmingham Alabama December 29 to see Rutgers place against North Carolina. Im probably driving with a friend down there from NJ, about a 2000 mile round trip. What are good sites to go to, I think I will take a pennsylvania to tennesse route to Alabama and hug I95 on the way back up to get to see other states on the way up. What are good restaurants, points of attractions, etc???

Jay -

Since you'll be in Birmingham, I highly recommend you check this place out if you have the time. Even if you're not into motorcycles, this guys' collection of vintage and modern motorcycles is second to none. Many of the bikes on display are former racing machines several of which are the only ones in the world.

http://www.barbermotorsports.com/barber-vintage-motorsportspark-museum.php

Tom

thanks guys if you look at this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=08901&daddr=birmingham+alabama&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.961216,65.214844&ie=UTF8&ll=37.09802,-80.629825&spn=6.133296,9.338379&z=6&source=embed

this is how I am probably going down so I will be hitting places other than just alabama, anything that is on the way or up I-95 going up is fair game. Also I might be inclined to do a delivery service for anyone selling or buying.

thanks guys if you look at this

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=08901&daddr=birmingham+alabama&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.961216,65.214844&ie=UTF8&ll=37.09802,-80.629825&spn=6.133296,9.338379&z=6&source=embed

this is how I am probably going down so I will be hitting places other than just alabama, anything that is on the way or up I-95 going up is fair game. Also I might be inclined to do a delivery service for anyone selling or buying.

Basically taking I-81 practically the whole way there. Well, when you get near Harrisonburg, VA, look at that big mountain with all the antenna's on the summit (it would be on the left as you are heading south) - that is the ski area where I ski patrol at. You would not be able to see any of the actual slopes, though as they are on the other side of the ridge and thus, not visible from the interstate.

However, if you plan on taking I-85 to I-95 coming back up, you'll go right by my place in Fredericksburg (I-95 goes right through Fredericksburg). I practially live right off the RT-3 exit in Fredericksburg (would be Exit 130 in Virginia). When do you planning on returning to NJ? If the timing is decent when you hit the Fredericksburg, VA area, maybe treat you to lunch or dinner, and if time allows perhaps a quick demo of RF-7s hooked up to B&K gear (and if absolutly necessary - may just let you guys crash out at my place for the night)!

One word of caution, though - that traffic can get brutal as you get up through the Washington, D.C/Baltimore area along I-95, especially as you'll most likely will be dealing with holiday traffic as well.

Well.....I know you're not gonna be on a motorcycle, but if you wanna know what some of us live for.......just follow this map. Even if you're in a car, you have to experience US129 through Deals Gap to understand why some of us love the twisties. Besides, it's some of the most beautiful roads/scenery in the southeast IMHO.

Tom

post-4338-13819428201424_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Well.....I know you're not gonna be on a motorcycle, but if you wanna know what some of us live for.......just follow this map. Even if you're in a car, you have to experience US129 through Deals Gap to understand why some of us love the twisties. Besides, it's some of the most beautiful roads/scenery in the southeast IMHO.

Tom

Tom, I drove on that road, we were staying in the Fontana dam area at a friends cabin. We were given that route by a local because the road we had planned to use was frozen over, he kind of warned us.

That road is unbelievable, I don't think there is 100' without a turn ! I don't get car sick but was not feeling so great when we got to the end. Somewhere along that road there was a biker bar but it was closed, the other side of the road is water along the whole road, very nice looking area.

I would love to drive that road with a bike or nice sports car, better have good tires or take it slow. We were laughing the whole time thinking why would anyone make a road with this many turns, it's really crazy.

Tom

Holy Crap!!! Time to get some luggage tie downs, Im going to that road!

Tom is right although I live about 3/8'ths of an inch above where it says "Morganton Road". If you look REAL hard, you might see me being macho standing outside in the buff, flipping the bird to the world...or am I actually singing a Marie Osmond song...[*-)]

I might also add that Mike (Beasley) also lives in this area and in fact, lives right off of HWY 129.

Yep.....US129 through Deals Gap. 318 turns in 11 miles! I can't imagine what was going through the head of the Engineer that laid that road out. I mean, other US routes in that part of the country are no where near that twisty. He probably was a motorcylist and did the layout as a joke thinking it wouldn't get approved. Fortunately it did. BUT......there are many other entertaining roads in that area.

BTW.......dtel (and coytee).......if you're still reading this, I made that run through Deals Gap at night at around 11:00 with not a moon in sight. Wow.....talk about an experience. The night just soaked up my headlight and at one point I felt like I did when I was taking flying lessons and they would do this thing called unusual attitudes which basically meant they would screw-up your inner ear so that you would get completely disoriented. Never will do that ride again unless I'm sporting some serious aux lighting on my bike.

Tom

• Moderators

OK Tom, you are officially crazy, I don't know how you did it, we felt a little disoriented and we were in a car in daylight. At first it's fun and everyone's laughing, after a few miles you start to feel a little funny especially if your not driving. [+o(]

318 turns in 11 miles = 28.9 turns per mile

The road wouldn't be as bad if one side of it wasn't a drop off ending in water, if you made it through the trees.

LOL.......you should see see what happens when someone comes thru there pulling a loooong trailer and they take up BOTH lanes negotiating a curve.

And that night ride was NOT by choice. I was at a race in Marysville, TN but was staying in Robinsville. Only two ways back - Deals Gap or the Cherohola Skyway. US129 was shorter. Next time I'm taking the long way home.

Oh.....and you should've seen the 4 guys that went past me going in the opposite direction. They were hooked up nose-to-tail and the speed they were carrying told me that they must be able to ride that road with their eyes closed. Now THEY were crazy.

BTW - there's some cool photos at www.killboy.com

Tom