What dictates ohms of a driver?

Coytee

Very interesting!!!!! [Y] [Y] This thread reads like a "Cliff Notes" on Bruce Rozenblit's "Audio Reality" book.... (which I read a chapter every day at 0:dark hundred hours before I go to work and lose my mind!!!).

Audio Reality is probably the best primer on these principals and the relationship between the principles and audio equipment I have ever read. In an analogy, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier when it comes to the physical relationships between the properties. Was never my "subject" in charm school... Playing catchup when reading a number of the Forum threads is frustrating because really should know more about how the electrons float around... Then a very kind forum member sent me Rozenblit's book and I hav just about worn it out!!! But now I actually understand DeanG's. Don's and the other's posts!!!... or at least understand why it works that way!!!

Naturally I agree with the technical stuff.

The d.c. resistance of a raw bass driver tells us only one parameter.

A) But many if not all the parameters of the bass driver can be calculated from the a.c. impendance as it varies with frequency. If we have the equipment for it. And we have to do one other thing, that is to add a known mass to the diaphragm, or increase the spring by putting a box of known volume on one side of the driver (like a Heresy box). This is an air spring.

With a lot of math and the two curves, we can infer the important T-S parameters. From there we can calculate a lot of the mechnanical and electrical parameters. The first (T-S) are important to designing the bass system. Theil Small parameters.

B) The impedance vs. applied frequency (a.c. impedance) is also important to know in designing passive crossover filters. This is because a given passive filter is attached to the driver. The filter design depend on the impedance presented to it by the driver.

Wm McD