X5's are amazing!!

bhendrix

I ordered two pair of X5's during the "sale" and have now listened to them for many hours. These things are amazing! I can't believe the depth and impact of the bass. The top end is transparent and detailed.

Traveling is now much easier. I no longer need dynamic noise reduction headphones for airplanes. I just plug in the tiny little X5's and all is quiet.

My only problem resulted after the kids discovered the X5's and "stuck them in their ears". Now they all want a pair . . . . . .[:S]

Enjoy your X5's Bill! [:D] ... that is if you get a chance to use them.

I've owned the Custom 2 pretty much since they became available.

I've tried the Image X10 in it's original prototype and then the Image X10 and Image X5 and I like the sound of the Image X5 the best. I know the bass is supposed to be "better" on the Image X10 but the Image X5 certainly don't seem to be lacking in bass. And the top end of the X5 sounds clearer to me which I think would equate to transparent and detailed. As tiny as the Image X5's are, the Image X10's are even tinier.

I don't think that I've ever tried the Custom 3 as I prefer the feel and ease of use of the Image models.

Got a set of Image X10 coming my way. I like the sound of the Image X5 better but our youngest daughter who uses my Custom 2 on long road trips and often refers to them as hers barely let me have any time with the X10's when we tried 'em both at the last Pilgrimage as she uses the extra small gells on the X10's (and my Custom 2's) and said the Image X5 body was too big which does make sense as the extra small gels are a tad bit smaller than the body of the X5. I'm sure she'll decide the X10's are hers ... but I'm bringing 'em to work.

I love my Custom 2 but am really looking forward to sticking the X10's in my ears.

Sorry, Mark. My bad!!

Actually, I did buy a pair of Custom 3's several months ago and couldn't get them sealed in my bigs ears. Ryan tried them but couldn't get them to work because of TMJ surgery, so back they went.

Then . . . .we got the X5's and BINGO, they work beautifully.

Now . . . .if we could get Miss Amy to gin up another sale, I'd buy some more . . . . .

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a pair of X5s and love them too. I just wanted to ask a (probably) stupid question. I wear them a lot when I'm running--do you think the wear and tear from my running will reduce their longevity? I would assume that headphones in general are built to withstand some jarring movement, but since these have more intricate components than other generic headphones, I wasn't sure. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Ok folks, now you've done it. I have read everything I could on the X5's. The acclaim is pretty universal, and the descriptions have been excellent in most cases.

Normally, I have been using a set of $145 Bose around-the-ear headsets because they isolate from the outside world. They are not *that* easy to drive and with the average MP3 player, the bass is bloated. They sound a lot better with a higher output device--the creative xfi doesn't do too badly. The Bose aren't *THAT* bad, but as I pointed out, they cannot match the described performance of the X5's.

Posted Image

That being said, I purchased a pair of X5's based upon testimony of musicality and accuracy. I didn't want to drop $500-$1400 on some cans, and I really prefer something easy to tote around. Dr Thump and others are 100% correct that a lot of dynamic headphones simply don't resolve kick drum, and a lot of bass if not boomy or muddy is simply inarticulate. That is, unless you are willing to drop a mint on a set. And under $500 a pair, I can think fo few headphones of any kind that can be referred to as transparent on top--or with the same descriptors as the X5.

I am really looking forward to these headseats, and relief from portable audio mediocrity.

Just an fyi: I am going to objectively compare the performance of the X5 to my etys, my bose and my Grado Rs-1's (with grados headphone amp). The bose are about the same price, where the grado setup is roughly $750.