RF-7 Crossover upgrade questions

Dmannnnn

HOLY KRAPOLA! We just bought a home and it most likely went for 20% below reasonable market value in reasonable times, but went for market value in modern day times.

It's funny we are already refinancing it less than two months after closing and enough time hasen't passed to even be credited for paying county taxes yet. So last night we were in a state of panic and negociations to get this all worked out so we can close this AM, then board a filght to Florida later this AM. So at the end of the day, we'll get a check back in the about of roughly $5K....crazy times!

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here - VERY interesting information and enlightenment. Thank you ALL!.

Here is another interesting bit I've read on 'correcting' in the search for that perfect sound.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/loudspeakers-when-is-good-enough-enough-part-1

Be sure to go thru parts 2 & 3.

A Great NEW YEAR and golden listening to all!

eddisc

Can anybody tell me please which series of the Solen and Jantzen Caps should be used?

The Jantzen Series are

- Cross Cap

- Z-Standard

- Z-Superior

- Z-Silver

It seems to me that only the "cheap" Cross Cap is availiable in the requested 18 uF. Should it be that the Jantzen Cap must be much cheaper than the Kimbers?

For the Solen Caps in 15 uF I only find a series called Metallized Polypropylene. Is this the correct one?

Would jump happily cross wise in my flat for serious answers.

Thanks

Stefan

I use the 18uF Jantzen Cross Cap (part of the LCR in parallel with the horn). You can parallel two higher quality 9uF capacitors together, but you will have to modify the terminal cup to get it all back together -- slightly increase the size of the holes in the posts, go from #4 screws to #6 (2 1/4" length), and increase the length of the spacers.

You don't have to change the 16uF on the LF board, the quality of the stock capacitor is more than adequate for that position.

something the DIY'ers should take into account....

you might have gone to partsexpress and added up the parts needed and thought "wow, dean doesn't charge that much." you have to realize that when you take this upgrade upon yourself there is some expences you might not know. first dean makes sure to "match" all the caps and resistors. partsexpress allows him to do this for free, if you order from them, you will be chagred 10% more. second you will have to have the parts shipped and partsexpress is a little expencive to ship out parts. since dean lives very close, there is not shipping charged added to the project.

it would be very wize and econimical to have dean do the upgrade when the guy gets time. other wise you may just end up spending more money and might not do it right. i would only suggest doing it yourself if, one, your an excellent solder. if you are not, you may end up damaging the circuit card. you only have a few seconds to heat up the solder and connect the leads before you burn the card. if you toast the card, well you will have to buy a whole new one. two, if you are like me and just like doing things for yourself (and meet requirement one). third, if you would like to experiment with different caps (again, like myself).

i haven't read it in this post yet, but if you are going to upgrade the rf-7's, then you should really do the rc-7 also. if you have the rc-64 you won't need to. once the rc-7 is upgraded it is sooooooooooo very close to the rc-64. (not my knowledge, others have done an A/B test and found them very very close).

one question to Dean, do you also add the 10ohm resistor to the rc-7?

sorry Dean if i spilled the beans a little, i am just trying to help you out and let others know it is almost silly to do it themselves if they are not confident in their electrical abilities. others have commented that it is difficult to receive e mails from you so i didn't know of how many people know this information about the rf-7 crossover upgrade. i am lucky enough that you have replied to me a couple of times.

thank you for all informantion you have shared with me. it really helped me out with my first crossover upgrade (ksf 10.5 and ksf c-5) and it will benefit me with my rf-7 and rc-7 upgrade as well.

i hope this helps out some people with their decision to have dean upgrade their crossover and not e mail him so much.....lol

I agree with inventor on this one. The RF-7 crossover upgrade is not a good first project for the DIY'er. It might sound easy just to change out the caps, but the process can be a little involving and before you know it, you might be sending Dean your disassembled crossovers anyway.

[:$]

It's not bad if you have a quality soldering iron, keep the tip clean, and think about what you're doing while working deliberately. I get plenty of email from people who want me to help them through the project but after a run of bad experiences with people who assured me they knew what they were doing, I quit involving myself in the DIY efforts of others. It's pretty irritating to get an email from someone a week or so after you've given them the parts list asking the type of questions that shouldn't be coming from someone that just convinced you that they know what they're doing. I finally decided that if someone is really competent enough to know how to at least change parts out on a crossover -- they don't need me. If they do, they probably shouldn't be doing it. I can do a pair of RF-7's in a short evening -- but someone in trouble will try to tie me up in PM's and email for three nights!

Dean,

I pulled out my crossovers and now I can't get them back in. I got some duct tape designed specifically for RF-7's but it ain't sticking.

I'll call you tonight about 9:30 and you can walk me through it. It shouldn't take long.