Calibrating rf 83 and rc 64

roaddog359

Why is it when I calibrate my speakers with the onkyo 706 audessye, it always sets the center lower than the front left and right. It makes it hard to hear the speaking parts and the other noise seams too loud. Do I just manually set it or should the center be lower?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I had the same problem when I first hooked all my speakers up. Best thing to do is go to radio shack and get an SPL meter (analog). Do a search here in the forums (SPL meter) and you should find the thread that will tell you how to use it with your recievers test tones. I have the Avia dvd and just used that, but you can use the test tones from your Onkyo. Good luck and trust me... If done right, you will be in Klipsch heaven!!

Why is it when I calibrate my speakers with the onkyo 706 audessye, it always sets the center lower than the front left and right. It makes it hard to hear the speaking parts and the other noise seams too loud. Do I just manually set it or should the center be lower?

is the center closer to you than the left and right, remember that if you place it on a flat wall like more normal rooms, the center is closer to you than your left and right which are angled. That usually means the mic will compensate for the distance with lower signal sent to the center.

Best thing to do is go to radio shack and get an SPL meter (analog). Do a search here in the forums (SPL meter) and you should find the thread that will tell you how to use it with your recievers test tones.

A sound advise.

I tried the onboard/mic automatic set up system on all my receivers but I always end up redoing all the calibrations manually

I use DVE (Digital Video Essentiels) for some of the calibrations.Does anybody know the difference between DVE and AVIA?

It sounds like something went wrong in the Setup phase if Audyssey set your RC-64 lower than your RF-83s.

Fwiw, I would think your Onkyo would find the RF-83s as "Full Range," and you would need to go back and set the Crossover. That being said, you are driving the Top of the line Reference package with a {EDIT} mid-level AVR and it may not have the current to drive your speakers as efficiently as their "8 Ohm Compatible," suggests. Did you do the Audyssey Setup properly and what were the gain levels it set? Do you have "Double Bass," on or off? Where do you have the crossovers set?

It sounds like something went wrong in the Setup phase if Audyssey set your RC-64 lower than your RF-83s.

Fwiw, I would think your Onkyo would find the RF-83s as "Full Range," and you would need to go back and set the Crossover. That being said, you are driving the Top of the line Reference package with a {EDIT} mid-level AVR and it may not have the current to drive your speakers as efficiently as their "8 Ohm Compatible," suggests. Did you do the Audyssey Setup properly and what were the gain levels it set? Do you have "Double Bass," on or off? Where do you have the crossovers set?

The fronts are at full and the center is set at 50hz, surrounds which are my rf 63's for now are at full band LFE 80hz and double bass is on. Not sure how I check the cross over settings or even how to set them up. Hopefully someone here can give me a hand.

The fronts are at full and the center is set at 50hz, surrounds which are my rf 63's for now are at full band LFE 80hz and double bass is on. Not sure how I check the cross over settings or even how to set them up. Hopefully someone here can give me a hand.

Imo, your Onkyo is not going to be able to drive that awesome HT efficiently especially if you are driving an all tower system as Large and Double Bass on! [:o]

Do you have a sub and have you ran the Audyssey setup? {Edit: I see that you did run Audyssey...If you did it correctly I would go in and change your Full Range speakers to set a crossover at 80 Hz (If you had a beefier power supply you could go lower} but the 50 Hz reading seems kinda odd unless you have a RC-64 for the center and are close to the floor.

I edited my post on the other page with more information.

I feel the Sub 12 and your Onkyo are the weak links in your system. If the Onkyo has pre-outs, there appear to be happy Klipschsters purchasing one of those Emotiva multi-channel amps (and using your Onkyo as a pre-pro) and then you could lower your Tower's crossovers and possibly wouldn't even notice your Sub 12. My 2 cents.

Imo, your Onkyo is not going to be able to drive that awesome HT efficiently especially if you are driving an all tower system as Large and Double Bass on! Surprise

I would go in and change your Full Range speakers to set a crossover at 80 Hz (If you had a beefier power supply you could go lower} but the 50 Hz reading seems kinda odd unless you have a RC-64 for the center and are close to the floor.

Well, that may be part of the problem. The rc 64 is temp. on the floor angled up, until I get my wall shelf made to support that beast. What will setting the 83's and 63's at 80hz do for me?