Calibrating rf 83 and rc 64

roaddog359

I even set the center at 80hz (THX). Can someone who knows how to set this correctly help me out. I need to make sure this is set up correctly I am not sure on how to set it, what it does when its set ect..... If I lower the hz does that make the speaker have more bass? With full giving it the most then 40, 50, 60 70, 80 ect... does higher equal more treble? What receivers would be better suited for this set up?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If I lower the hz does that make the speaker have more bass? With full giving it the most then 40, 50, 60 70, 80 ect... does higher equal more treble?

If you set a crossover at 80Hz, the speaker will play only frequencies higher than 80Hz (without getting technical with rolloff). The receiver then sends all of the frequencies that are lower than 80Hz to the sub. This helps relieve the receiver from doing all the hard work and lets the sub help out since it has it's own dedicated amp. To be honest, there is no set standard for Xover settings. Some people like to set their fronts to large and let them handle some of the lower frequencies. Others like to set them to small. I like my 83's set to small. They sound more refined, clearer and precise. If I had a separate amp (like the Emotiva XPA-5) I would try setting them to Large if it sounds ok. Let your ears be the judge. I would start with 80Hz and setting your speakers to small. They adjust to your liking.

First things first, sit down and take a couple of deep breaths.......

Wow, you tired me out just reading your post about how frantic you are getting...

The first thing that I would do is sit down again with the manual and go over it from the start, about hooking up the speakers and setting the correct distance. Then run the Audyssey setup and see what you get. You can always tweak it yourself so it sounds go to you.

People can only recommend what they think it might be with out being in your shoes to hear it for themselves.

You are correct that you do NOT want to set ANY of your speakers to FULL...

James

• Moderators

I do not see where I have a setting for large or small speakers unles you are talking about the setting cross over from full to where I have them set now at 80 hz.

Yes, I forgot, my previous Onkyo did not have a "small" setting. Only Full or a crossover setting. By setting any crossover setting, it is the same as setting it to "small". The good thing is that you will not damage anything by playing with the settings. Run the audessey, then try tweeking it.

It is expected since you are sending all the low signal (80hz and below) to the sub but a well positioned sub should make the transition seamless.

It sounds like you need to find a better place for your sub.

The best way to do this is to place the sub at your listening position then go around the room, on your knees if needed, and see where the bass sounds the best to you.

Once you find that spot that is where you should place the sub. You might need to increase the DB setting to the sub as well

The SVS pb 13 is a really good sub, so are some of the velodyne.

I'm a little surprise by the issues you are having. I used to have a sub 12 and I still think it was the best for the money. It did a decent job with my RF 83 but then again the RF 83 do not need help either.

I do not know anything about the onkyo receiver, but with my hk if I did the set up using the Audessey/ mic system and then I went in to tweak it, I was always end up losing the bass .

I finally did a full reset of unit, redid all the set up manually and I never been happier since.

I do not know if it would help but it might be worth it to try to do a reset on yours and try again

.... I'm a little surprise by the issues you are having. I used to have a sub 12 and I still think it was the best for the money. It did a decent job with my RF 83 but then again the RF 83 do not need help either....

Imo, he is trying to run 2 RF-83s, 2 RF-63s, and an RC-64 with a mid level AVR that is only rated as THX Select 2, and does not drive speakers effectively (especially 4 towers and that center channel) that have the impedance dips that these large speakers evidently have at some frequencies. {EDIT Note: Then again, if hitting the Dynamic EQ button did the trick....;-)}

Somehow my dynamic EQ setting was set to off. When I turned it back on I got the depth in the speakers I was looking for that I lost when I originally set the x over to 80hz on the front, center and rears. Sounds pretty good now.

Way to go...If you don't hear your speakers clipping and it sounds good then sit back and enjoy! [Y]

Imo, he is trying to run 2 RF-83s, 2 RF-63s, and an RC-64 with a mid level AVR that is only rated as THX Select 2, and does not drive speakers effectively that have the impedance dips that these large speakers evidently have at some frequencies.

Correct,

Plus who to say that the speaker are perfect and his ears just don't like them. He might be asking to much from the speakers without looking at other things first. Sit back look around the room and see if you can more them to a different spot, even a few feet can help.

James