Good Boy to Bad Boy??

CIGARBUM

TUBES bit me too. I went with Cary gear and I swear that a week would not go by but what something failed, I went through rectifiers, power tubes and so forth. Main fuses went and tubes fried on initial outings. I dealt with Upscale Audio in So. Cal. and they did all they could do, Cary customer service really was poor. They balked at warranty work and even tried to charge for a new shipping box. Bottom line .... no more tubes. Went with Accuphase solid state and never once looked back. The stuff turns on every day, zero problems. The sound is scary good. Pricey but good and RELIABLE!

I wouldn't necessarily blame TUBES in general, though.....it's how the gear is designed that matters. I've had power tubes go up before - on several occasions - Sovtek rectifiers, too (quit using them - use Mullards now) and NEVER had gear failure because of it. Not all tube gear fails just because the tubes do. In fact, with well designed up-to-date tube gear the ONLY issues you should have is the tubes. Gear issues should be rare. Research is KEY when selecting tube gear - every unit has "specialities" and it helps to know what those are before selecting gear.

The new MC275 is a really good sounding amplifier, but that IS a beef I've had with the new 275, and from what I'm reading on internet forums the most common problem. And that's rough in the current production KT88 environment. There's GONNA be a poor power tube or two with ANY manufacturer. Good news is that the new GL reissues seem to get along with the new 275s, so that should help - and once settled in should be good for a long time. It also helps that he has good service available. I sure as hello wouldn't get roll happy with the power tubes on one of those - if you lurkers out there have a new MC275 and are curious about output tube rolling....DON'T.

I must admit, though, that if one MUST go solid state, Accuphase is a pretty good way to go.

Good news, Bob! I glad its up but sad I'm not there to hear it. By the way, thanks for turning me on to Sam McClain. I got my XRCD today and have had about an hour by myself to listen (well, I think the neighbors might have heard a note or two also as I opened up the back doors to the lake and cleared the carbon out of the ol' Mc). I never knew XRCDs were out there, BIG difference with a sample of one.