Dual SVS Ultras in a single column?

HornEd

HornEd,

Nice sub tower of power.I like your way of building things,big bass foundation and on it a few KLF30's,must make a awesome HT system.

Again great mod HornEd

I am taking a Pioneer 47 and 49TX for a spin this weekend. Smile.gif I cant wait to compare thse to my trusty Denon 3801 and 5800.

I wonder if I should built the Sunfire pyramid of power now? LOL

Great to have you back on this BB

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

You are an amazing individual and a credit to this board. I always enjoy reading your posts and the eloquent word games you play. On a side note, I'm sure everybody would love to have your money but I would really like to have your workmanship skills. I don't have a creative bone in my body and after having read some of your DIY posts, I still don't understand. I love the stacked Ultras and when I pick up my second 20-39CS this Spring, would like to do the same thing with mine. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin. Could you please post some detailed pictures and a set of instructions that even a dummy might be able to understand?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike, thanks for the good words. I am somewhat of a recluse and live relatively simply... well, until I get an idea and then it's Katy bar the door...

I suppose I am known on this forum for making rather long posts... but it is often difficult to get my point across succinctly. My incentive on this forum is to help other folks open their eyes to a shift in HT and music reproduction dynamics that 5.1 (and above) really means. Frankly, my ability to generate money is largely due to my success in pushing the technological envelope beyond where the experts say it can be pushed.

Building a multi-channel sound system around a full-range center and complementing it with a subwoofer that can round out the bottom end as if it were a live performance... is one of those envelope pushing things.

My DIY posts have been limited because my concern is with spurring others to new heights... rather than showing off my gear or skill sets. Communication is predicated on both sides having a basis of understanding. In the effort to communicate, it seems that people may understand me better if I give them a frame of reference for my opinion. I actually have exposed far more about me on this forum than any other. The reason... the Klipsch board is one of the most helpful, friendly and well run BBS for its size that I have experienced. I want to be part of that positive Klipsch Forum image.

But, in deference to your request and several others, I will post a more comprehensive DIY instruction set with photos as soon as I get a few more tweaks taken care of.

I've been working on a new project since the wee hours so I am going to take a little HT break. cwm38.gif Happy Valentine's Day. HornEd

Ed, You are a very interesting person. If I had as much to say about my life as you do at your age I would write a biography. Really! I'm not being sarcastic. The knowledge that you have about life would really be helpful to other people.

but your right...you can be rich in many different ways. It dosent have to be measured in dollar signs but in friends, family, education, love & amoungst many other things I can't think of at the moment. Although having lots of money sure does make all the good things that much better.

But seriously Ed, you should think about a biography. I for one would love to read it.

Regard's Monty

Time Out! Actually Monty, there already is one... but I have an agreement that it will not be published during my lifetime. Too many sensitive issues, too many well known people... I would rather have a book out later so the emphasis is on the technique rather than the players.

You know, something that may help folks get through tough times and have a few chuckles at my expense... like the time the DEA mistook me for a drug runner and we had a standoff in the middle of Atlanta's airport. Or the presidential candidate in league with the national chairman of the opposite party... and what really happened when their deal went south.

There's a lot about using a cross disciplined approach to problem solving that gets you out of the scientific method rut. Hey, if I keep this up, this thread will really get long... even by my standards.

It's just amazing how much one body can get into if he just keeps wiggling... like the time I fell out of bed and wound up in Belleview (not the psychiatric side Wink.gif ) with a broken neck... and what happened when they gave me a megadose of THC to see what it would do for someone in chronic pain.

Recalling the events is more amusing than sad... but, Monty, I have always been more of a recluse... and only resorted to the showman role long enough to get a specific task (other than feeding my ego) done.

Funny thing is... from my understanding of how the brain works... elements of the Matrix were not nearly as far fetched as one might think. Not all the gee-whiz shoot 'em up and kungfu U2 elements... but the fact that its not the sound we hear... but the sound that we think we hear that makes the difference!

And that applied research is better to be kept under wraps in the faint hope that it would not be used by one person trying to rip off another.

Monty, having a lot of money is like painting yourself with crosshairs and inviting a whole lot of people you would rather not know into your life. Money should be a tool... not a scorecard. The lamenting that I did for so many years was because of the toolset I lost due to corruption in the legal system... and not because I had less to blow on toys. My son and I had provided for 20% of the profits to be invested in educational research for uplifting young minds in a tuition free school.

I grew into manhood when there was such a thing as a military draft. When I suddenly found myself in the army, my civilian attorney wrote me a letter in basic training which said, in part, "Ed, by now you must have learned that the fewer people who know your name rank and serial number... the better off you will be."

Time In... let's talk speakers before they pull our Avatars! HornEd

HornEd,

That was quite possibly the most dignified response to a somewhat snotty comment that I have ever seen. Very well said. On another note, could you educate me on the number of speakers you are able to utilize in your system? I have basic 5.1 and I am a little new to this so you might have to simplify things just a bit. Does your receiver have 8.1 outputs? It seems like you have 8 speakers plus the subs. Is it me or is this crazy hobby we all have a constant process of upgrading? Oh well I guess there are worse hobbies.

That was quite possibly the most dignified response to a somewhat snotty comment that I have ever seen

Hold up a minute here. In now way was I trying to be snotty. Why would you interprit my statement in that way, I dont understand. Think before you make an accusation like that (GGRRRRRR!!)cwm21.gif

Ed, I have the highest respect for you, If my comments seemed a bit out of line I apoligize.

Love the stack job on the ultras by the way. Seem's much better than side by side.

Monty

No offense taken, Monty, I know you better than that... but I can see how others might misinterpret it. If anything, I am somewhat sensitive about my ability to acquire things.

cwm40.gif So by way of apology, I will tell you one of my secrets. I always try to figure a good deal from the other guy's perspective. You would be amazed at how much more you will acquire than if you just kept your eye on your part of the pie... which is what the other guy expects. So when the deal seems tailored to his needs, which it is, he will generally stop trying to carve down your share.

Be well Wavey.gif HornEd

PS: Danartdis, thanks for your support... I will be posting a note to you on building a sound wall and the key multi-channel elements. Basically, I have a 6.1 system embellished with two front effects speakers. Their sound is derived from LMAIN and RMAIN. The "6" in 6.1 refers to six discrete sound tracks and the ".1"

refers to a discrete subwoofer channel. 6.1 recordings are still rare... but better quality AV units will convert 5.1 into 6.1. More later... got to get some rest Sleep.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 02-16-2002 at 03:21 AM