I just bought my first set of Belles! What amp for under $1500 do you recommend?

pjpmd

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I feel I've received some great advice. I'm not in a big hurry, as I have an old Carver m1.5 that I can run them on in the mean time. The guy I bought the speakers from recommended a McIntosh 2105. These aren't too expensive. What is the general consensus of this amplifier? Good match for Belles?

Thank you,

Pete

ps - here is the link to the speakers I bought on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280293347395

I run my Khorns with a Mac 2125, which is just about the same as the 2105, and I love the sound, especially for the price. If you do buy a used Mac SS amp, and then decide you don't like it, you will be able to resell it and recoup your money as they tend to hold their value forever.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are absolutely stunning and a STEAL at $2600!! I don't care what anyone says. You got the original boxes and all the paperwork and they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Shell out some bucks and get Craig to build you a matching pair of walnut VRDs and match it up with Mark's latest BBX Preamp with walnut case. You'll end up doing it sometime down the road anyway so you might as well get it over with.[;)]

Those are absolutely stunning and a STEAL at $2600!! I don't care what anyone says. You got the original boxes and all the paperwork and they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Shell out some bucks and get Craig to build you a matching pair of walnut VRDs and match it up with Mark's latest BBX Preamp with walnut case and Cream option. You'll end up doing it sometime down the road anyway so you might as well get it over with.Wink

This approach would kill the upgrade bug for a long time. HEHE

As long as you have a Carver Amp and are not in a hurry. Just hook it up and familarize yourself with the sound. Then find some forum members in your area that will let you listen to their rigs. Or if they are really close, they could be talked into hooking up their amps to your speakers. You need to spend some time to listen to the various amp topologies, to decide what you like. Solid State, Push-Pull Tubes or SET amps or OTL. The more you listen to the various amps, the more your tastes will change.That will be the cheapest way. The expensive route will be to purchase each topology every 6 months and put the gear up for sale on Audiogon and buy the next amp topology.Big Smile -

WORDS OF WISDOM! YOU WILL NOT GET BETTER ADVICE THAN THIS ANYWHERE!!!