Mobile, Your thoughts, Rega Planet CDP vs Rega 2000 CDP???

jazman

mobile,

I'm thinking and wishing into the near future. I've read very positive reviews of the Rega 2000, but you seem to prefer the original. There must be some very good reasons. There seem to be more used 2000's for sale counting ebay and AudiogoN. That alone can be a vote for the original. The original Rega is a sure $200 less used than the 2000 used. Is the 2000 model worth the additional dollars in your opinion?

Thanks

Klipsch out

I cant be any more straight and upfront when I say I have not actually HEARD the new Rega 2000. I did read the interesting review of the 2000 at Enjoy The Music.com. And I have talked to my friend in Quebec that just auditioned both and had the chance to buy either used. The 2000 was about $250 over the older Rega. He chose the older Rega Planet for the price and the fact that he said it appeared to play most of his CD collection; in fact, he just sold his $3500 Audio Note player for some extra cash to build a new tube amp - he says he doesnt miss the Audio Note! He also offered that he didnt think the newer Planet was worth the extra money. The reviewer at Enjoy The Music liked the new...but felt it was not good enough to exchange his old. There is another review that compares the older Rega to the Tjoeb with the Tjoeb coming in second.

Now you have heard me talk of the older Planet. I have not yet heard a 24Bit machine in the same ball park money wise that I felt bettered the original Planet. In fact, I find my original Rega Planet to be one of the most musical CD players I have heard as it is so warm and smooth, with great rhythm and a grain free presentation. It is so good with jazz. It's very rich and never assualts the ears. That is not to say the Rega is rolled off in any way; it just has an analog smoothness about it while retaining good extension.

A good audio friend of mine has a Tjoeb player that he really loves. He rolled the better tubes in and messed with the output voltage (you can adjust this). He loves his Tjoeb as I am sure you love yours. I have heard the Tjoeb as well... But I still happen to like the Rega better as it sounds more smooth and less harsh, believe it or not, than even the tube output Tjoeb player. That is still a damn fine player, however, and very open sounding.

I just happen to love the Rega. I think the older unit is diffinitely more attractive than the new, whatever that is worth. And I think the 18 bit Burr Brown Rega modified DAC in the original Rega Planet really is a nice unit ( so nice that the Burr Brown engineers flew over from the States to see how they had modified it).

At the very least, you can sell your Rega for not much less than you paid for it!

Is this for the second Cornwall system with the EICO HF-81?

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-08-2002 at 08:55 AM

mobile,

That's correct. The second 2 channel system of the Cornwalls, they turn out to be '83 instead of '80 vintage, the Eico, and "X" CD player or "X" turntable. I am in no way unhappy with the Tjoeb99. The new, matched Bugle Boys 6922s from Richardson are an outstanding addition to it.(Hmmm, I wonder what Telfunkens would do???)

At present, the budget says that only a CD player, or only a turntable is possible with that system for now. I know I would be pleased with another Tjoeb, but a Rega would provide an alternate perspective, tune my ears,.... yada, yada, yada. On the other hand, I have more vinyl choice than CDs, so a turntable could be the more pragmatic option. Hopefully a little income tax refund will fund the purchase, or repay my bank account if the right deal pops up sooner. So I'm being open, examining possibilites....etc. The price of a used original Rega CDP is "sort of" within budget allowances, less than a new Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, more than a used Tjoeb99, more than a budget MMF or used turntable. Another decision to agonize over. Yes, a USED Rega CDP is a possibility.

Klipsch out

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

AH!Tjoeb99 CD Player

This message has been edited by jazman on 02-08-2002 at 05:48 AM

Based on what I've experienced, the Planet has wonderful sound. Let me explain...I have been to 2 "meetings" of the SoCal Horn Group at the shop of Dr. Bruce Edgar (of Edgarhorn). First let me state that Dr. Edgar is a wonderful person. He loves to share his ideas and listen to others. Second, the reference system he uses consists of a $21,500 pair of Cyrus Brenneman "Silver Reference" all tube monoblocs, a $5,000 C.B. "Euphonics" line stage preamplifier, a pair of $12,000 Edgarhorn "TitanHorns", and a Rega Planet cdp, all connected with what looks like mid to high end cables. Oh, and lest I forget, Dr. Edgar's unbelievable bass horn. It's a 6'x4'x4' beautiful wooden cabinet driven by an external Hsu amplifier. I'm guessing this baby goes for many thousands. Anyway, Dr. Edgar is very, very picky about what music he plays. I say this because I was surprised to see him using the mid-fi Planet. When I asked him why he used the Planet in an otherwise very expensive system, he smiled and said "Because it sounds good.". Good enough for me. This system has the most incredible sound I'ver ever heard, bar none. Needless to say, I'll soon be adding a Planet to my system.

Chris

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Sony 5000F Tuner (1968)

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

This message has been edited by cjk1026 on 02-08-2002 at 08:21 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the input. I see you have also opted for a 2 channel system dedicated to music, pumped by a 300B tube Cary, though a set of Cornwalls. Very nice. Counting Mobile, the good Dr. Edgar("Because it sounds good.")and yourself, the original Rega CDP is way out in front, 3-0. Now the problem is locating a good used one.

Klipsch out

2 Channel

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

AH!Tjoeb99 CD Player

HT

KLF-20 fronts

KLF-C7 center

RS3-II surround

KSW-15 sub

KSW-12 sub

55" 16x9 Mitsubishi

Yamaha RXV 795

Toshiba SD-3105(HDCD)

Panasonic VHS

Dish Sat.

In the end, however, you might just prefer the Tjoeb unit. My good friend prefers his Tjoeb to my Rega but likes both. I happen to prefer my Rega to his Tjoeb, but like both. So if you have BOTH, there is a 100% chance that when my friend and I are invited over to listen, we will both be happy depending on the percentage of time you employ the Rega vs the Tjoeb and the numerical relativity / value of the worth of the SET system vs the worth of the EICO system which could skew the numbers somewhat.

I will bring my calculator and a fine bottle of California Cabernet.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-08-2002 at 05:22 PM

Mobile,

As the under 30 crowd would say,

"That's what I'm talking about". Sounds like a sure Win, Win, situation on the music systems and the wine if it doesn't make me a split personality. Maybe having both could be the basis of a never ending discussion of which is best. Yeah, how about that? Let the Rega CDP lookout begin!

BTW, check this out.

Cornwall eval conclusion

Klipsch out.

cjk,

quote:

Anyway, Dr. Edgar is very, very picky about what music he plays. I say this because I was surprised to see him using the mid-fi Planet. When I asked him why he used the Planet in an otherwise very expensive system, he smiled and said "Because it sounds good.".

There are not many things that would convince me as well as horns like Dr. Edgars (not to mention the electronics).

This has just about put the coffin nail in my separates. All I need to do now is put them up for sale on audiogoon.