Placement of audio rack

ddarch44

I am in the process of tiling my basement, and soon I will be re-assembling my audio/home theater system where a pair of Cornwalls serve as the mains. Previously, on the wall as you face the tv, I had the audio rack with mono amps, preamp, phono pre, turntable, cd player, and 5.1 channel receiver just to the left of the tv. Then, one Cornwall was just to the right of the tv, and one was just to the left of the audio rack. (By the way, the tv is NOT flat panel, its an older 36" tv that sits on a tv rack that also holds a dvd player and a game console.)

My question is this, would it be better to move the audio rack to the far left, and have the left side Cornwall next to the TV? In doing that, I would have a better listening triangle with the tweeter to tweeter distance 7 feet and the seating 7 feet away. However, this puts the audio rack in the far left corner of that tv wall, and I worry about the turntable in that location. (Vinyl is the my main listening format and the system, although set up for HT, is used that way minimally.)

I should mention that the previous set up was very good, I would just toe in the left speaker a bit more than the right. Still, I wonder if I would get better imaging if I moved the audio rack out of the center, leaving just the tv/tv rack.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

CW is NOT shielded, you may have difficulty with a CRT set directly next to it.

For HT, I always argue for as wide of sound stage as you can get, and also to keep the speakers symmetrical around the center of the screen. Placing a CW right next to the screen will severly limit your sound stage. Another general rule I go by is to space the speakers 1/2 screen width away from the set, no more. You don't violate this by having the rack in between.

FWIW, I have a 42 Plasma with LS about 6 feet to each side and sit 10 feet from the screen. I like my soundfield W I D E, but then I listen probably 1/3 CD, 1/3 concert DVD, 1/3 movies. You probably wouldn't want too wide of a spread if you mostly did movies.

If you want to move your rack closer to your seating position (side of room), now would be your chance. You can still leave space between TV and speakers or center the TV between them if you desire.

The equilateral triangle rule is mainly applied to stereo practice.

Michael

"Vinyl is the my main listening format and the system, although set up for HT, is used that way minimally."

I can go probably 8-9 feet tweeter to tweeter...but the seating, as I said, is 7 feet away. Also, in the previous set up, before tiling, there was no interference from the tv.

The main focus of my question is leave the audio rack next to the tv or move it to the left front corner?????

Dave

If it were me, the TV alone would be front and center between the Cornwalls, and the audio components to either of the side walls on its own rack. Since your tiling your basement's concrete floor, I seriously doubt you'll have to worry much about vibrations affecting your turntable (IMHO, since I have my 'table only 2' away from one of my subs...all on a concrete floor).

Concerning your question, the answer can really only come from your own experimentation and what sounds best to you. I would rather have the CWs equal distance from either side walls, and the TV centered between them, and the audio rack on a side wall. The only drawback would be purchasing longer ICs and/or speaker cables to compensate for the added distance. YMMV.

PS - Dave, love your website! I almost bought an AR XA years ago. It was virtually a giveaway, but it needed lots of work and I just couldn't afford the added expense of restoring/upgrading it. Vinyl Nirvana was the first site I explored about that 'table...learned a lot, natch! If I ever purchase an AR, you'll be my first contact in having it rebuilt/modded. Keep up the good work!

In home theater environments, I usually recommend placing equipment to the side or rear of the room, thereby, eliminating from direct view, the annoyance of all of those lights and indicators flashing brightly in the equipment displays, which tends to pull most viewers' eyes from the video screen. I hate distractions in theaters, which is why our screen wall and ceiling are both flat black; no reflections or distractions and our equipment rack is on the rear wall of our theater (shown below). NOTE: The slot machine shown on the left of the photo is automatically turned-off by the lighting automation program when the mode "Cinema" is chosen, which eliminates its colorfull but distracting lights. Opening up the room's front area allows you free reign to place the speakers in any configuration needed without compromise. -Glenn

post-10177-13819436277208_thumb.jpg

The main focus of my question is leave the audio rack next to the tv or move it to the left front corner?????

Hi Dave, over the summer I did exactly what you are describing. I swapped my speaker and rack, moving the speaker closer to the TV and the rack further. As Michael stated, speakers spread apart produce a very wide soundstage, and I did noticed a more narrow soundstage although I gained depth and focus, better for 2 channel as Michael suggested. As a bonus as Picky pointed out, I no longer have distracting lights to bother me during blackout listening sessions or movie watching. I say go for it! [Y]

Dave,

I can't follow what you're asking exactly but the main mistake most people make, people who really care about sound, too, is having their gear between their speakers. That is a no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no!

Don't ever have any gear between your speakers. That is the worst possible place for it.

Never mix your serious audio with your video. If you want to listen to non-critical audio in your A/V system, that's allowed.

Robin

Dave,

I can't follow what you're asking exactly but the main mistake most people make, people who really care about sound, too, is having their gear between their speakers. That is a no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no no-no!

Don't ever have any gear between your speakers. That is the worst possible place for it.

Never mix your serious audio with your video. If you want to listen to non-critical audio in your A/V system, that's allowed.

Robin

Uh-oh - Looks like the audio police may have to come and arrest me.... [:o]

home-theater-setup.jpg

And yes, Ialso do both casual and critical listening on that setup as well - so sue me! Sorry if I come out sounding harsh, but after all I don't see what the big issue is anyway, as it seems to be working out quite well for me. Also, I really don't have anywhere else to put the electronics, thus as shown above is the most logical way for me to configure the setup, given the room that I have there (yes, that is an old picture, but what is seen is still basically how I have it configured).

Sir Picky and myself will be over to flogg you shortly for your equipment placement isues ....LOL Just kidding!!

I think some of it is this, are you trying to give yourself a real "home theater" environment, or is it a family room, multi purpose thing too?

(I realise most do not go as far as Picky and I have too. Glen and I are 100% in agreement on keeping things up front minimal and black black black always a home run! You want to get "lost in the experience" and not see lights on blinking or distracting too.)

The bigger the screen, too, the wider you can get away with. I think you said you have Klipsch Cornwalls too. These are fantastic speakers for HT, and spread apart some in a big room, are just fantastic!!!

I also agree off to the side away or in the rear is a much better place for the audio sources.

Uh-oh - Looks like the audio police may have to come and arrest me.... Surprise

Guess I'm on the lam too!?! Zip it!

Ha Ha , guilty as charged ! I see no problem with the audio rack between the , in my case , center and left main speakers .

Posted Image

Like most of us here I don't have a dedicated theater or listening room either . My great room is a multi-media room . I did remove the dinning table and chairs several years ago when I went to the long wall setup . So that alone should give me some man cave points [:D] !

Just to be fair to others in here, I did this upstairs too.

*****Note to everybody*****.... Never build a entertainment center that attaches to the wall BETWEEN 2 K horns.,.. BAD MISTAKE>..

I should of sunk it (The entertainment center) into the garage behind it.

I regret this huge mistake daily, and miss my k horns in a great 22 foot wide room!

But it does look great for a family room system! Maybe Palladium's someday?

BTW, I hid a vertical Cornwall between these in the cabinet below, and use a RSW 15 as the sub. 4 RS 7's for the side / rear surrounds.

post-5910-13819436471094_thumb.jpg

Roger, stop it. It looks grand and works fine. Beside, recessing it into the wall would put the screen even farther away. As it is you need to sit on the edge of the coffee table to be in the sweet spot of the Khorns anyways. And that cabinet that houses your vertical CW center is brilliant (bring on the soft cushions) LOL