Potential Basis 1400 Deal, What You All Think?

rplace

rich my was sold to a fella down south, and my arm was indeed the mark 2 bought new from dealer for right at 1000.00 dollars shipped i want to say the name was revelation audio but that may be wrong. the origin is basically an improved rega ( on the other hand you should be able to get 350 to 400 out of the rega basis 300, larry that ovation sure was / is a nice table i would have thought it to be better than the 2001 but of course i have not ouned those so cannot comment on that, also it is suprising to hear bass improved with a suspended table which table did you have b-4 the basis was it also a suspended table ?????

Joe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe, Didn't you have the 1400 in your system when I was down at your place in southern MD? I think you had just gotten khorns and had one in a nice corner and the other one in a partial corner if I remember correctly. At any rate I remember that 1400 sounding pretty darn good along with the rest of your stuff. Was the Rega arm on the 1400 then or the Origin arm?

larry that ovation sure was / is a nice table i would have thought it to be better than the 2001 but of course i have not ouned those so cannot comment on that, also it is suprising to hear bass improved with a suspended table which table did you have b-4 the basis was it also a suspended table ?????

The Ovation is VERY nice, but is a 70-lb beast that was very large and expensive to manufacture (see http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/793basis/). AJ redesigned his line toward smaller, lighter tables, and I'm sure the 2001 is at least as good. I've since upgraded the Ovation with the much heavier, thicker, "Debut" platter, bringing it closer to a 2500. (While the above article mentions lead weights, my table has brass weights in both the platter and the heavy tonearm board.)

I haven't detected lack of bass from suspended tables, at least not in the Basis line. I had a Linn for many years, which had an extremely musical sound but (in that one) a somewhat fat, non-linear bass. The table before the Ovation was a Roxsan, with a thin sound and a wood plinth that warped. The Ovation was the answer to all that, and has been completely satisfying although it takes two to three people to move it around. The pic shows the Ovation sitting on a Townshend Sink on a Target wall mount.

post-12148-13819436895002_thumb.jpg

So, Larry/Gary/Leo any of you have the new revolution belt from A.J. over at Basis? I was reading up on them and it sounds interesting. Also, just got off the phone with the 1400 owner. He said he talked to A.J. for half an hour to 45 minutes about the new belt. AJ claims a 1400 with the new belt sounds better then their higher end tables with an old belt. Hard to believe a belt could make that much of a difference.[:|] I gather that Basis could not find a belt supplier that they liked so the made their own.

No, I got the "Superbelt" a year or two ago, and thought it made a modest difference, about what AJ promised. He has been pretty honest down the line with me in the past. I, too, would be surprised if the newest belt could make those kinds of difference, like the quieter background that the suspended tables are supposed to have, but I haven't talked about it with him or Bob, his distributor. Yep, AJ does his own engineering and seems to be really, really good at it.

rich the table you heard at my house in so. md. was indeed the basis 1400 and it had a rega arm on it but that arm had the incognito rewire kit installed i bought the origin later on and installed it on a clearaudio champion level 2, there was very very modest nuance improvements with that move. i can say the biggest gain i found with turntables arms carts etc... was getting an oracle delphi 2 with a graham 1.5 arm, i was floored by some of the differences i was hearing but alas the origin began to give motor issues and had to go but i kept the graham for quite a while and used it on a couple different tables and it never left me wanting, oh by the way the cart i had mounted on the basis was the grado sonata reference

Joe

I have the revolution belt. Larry has better ears than I. I can't tell any difference but that's OK. It was cheap at least!

$125 for a belt is cheap[:S] I guess you D.C. types down there are loaded compaired to us bumpkins out in the sticks[;)]

I have the revolution belt. Larry has better ears than I. I can't tell any difference but that's OK. It was cheap at least!

$125 for a belt is cheapTongue Tied I guess you D.C. types down there are loaded compaired to us bumpkins out in the sticksWink

I think I paid about $50. I could be wrong but that's what I remember. They couldn't get me the superbelt so they gave me the revolution for the price of the regular belt for my inconvenience. I had to wait about 6 weeks for them to figure out how to get me a belt. I didn't want anything fancy and they were out of rubber bands.

Leo, strictly FYI: AJ's write-up of the Revolution belt from his website: http://www.basisaudio.com/docs/acs_sbt_specs.pdf. I have the earlier "superbelt", not a Revolution. I no longer see the SB on the website.

I should have said "very" modest in my SB comment, since it wasn't much of a change. AJ usually doesn't overrate his products, though.

Am I reading this wrong or is there a typo in the Basis data

From Basis:

Illustrative of the importance of a drive belt is an experiment performed at Basis Audio.

Basis Turntable "A":

Platter weight = 4 pounds

Platter roundness/centering reading +/- .0015"

Belt precision +/-.0003"
Basis Turntable "B":

Platter weight = 18 pounds

Platter roundness/centering reading +/- .0005"

Belt precision +/-.0001

Note that turntable "A" has an 4.5x platter inertia advantage and a 3x platter roundness/centering advantage.

The belts were of the standard Basis thickness of .015".
The results of the tests
show turntable "B" to have a
2 to 1 advantage
in speed stability over the otherwise

superior turntable "A". The improvement in the drive belt far outweighed the 4.5x advantage of platter inertia of

turntable "B" and 3x advantage roundness accuracy of turntable "B".

The Revolution Belt redefines the limits for record player drive belt precision and the consequential speed

stability of the belt driven turntable.

It says turntable A has 4.5X platter inertia. Shouldn't turntable A then be the 18 pound table not the 4 pound one[:^)] At any rate I'd have to hear a difference for myself.

This is why Rich is settling for the 1400.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1236991083&/Basis-2500-Signature

Sweet table! I have almost that much invested in my entire setup but mine includes a cart that retails for $3500.

17545 = MANHEIM, PA

That is just over an hour from my house. I guess it was the 2001 or 2200 NOT 2500 I was lusting after. So who has the spare coin to give me so I don't have to settle for that lowly 1400?

Basis Turntable "A":

Platter weight = 4 pounds

Platter roundness/centering reading +/- .0015"

Belt precision +/-.0003"

Basis Turntable "B":

Platter weight = 18 pounds

Platter roundness/centering reading +/- .0005"

Belt precision +/-.0001

Note that turntable "A" has an 4.5x platter inertia advantage and a 3x platter roundness/centering advantage.

The belts were of the standard Basis thickness of .015".

Aren't both the platter roundness numbers and the platter weights switched between "A" and "B", but not the belt precision numbers, for "B" to outperform "A" only because of the belt?

... the lighter, less round table should have had the better belt.

Actually, I think that's what he meant to say.

I got some feedback that there's not a lot of difference between the Superbelt (which I have) and the Revolution. Supposedly the real deal is the Basis "Microthin" belt which can only be used with the Basis power supply. That combo is way too pricey for me.

Besides, I got good, augible improvement from plugging the Ovation (all Basis TTs use the same upgraded motor) into a PS Audio P-300, an AC power regenerator that does great things for motor smoothness and fuller sound. Available used for good prices.

Rich, if you get the 1400 (I think you should get one Basis or another), I'd be glad to bring up my Superbelt, and the p-300 if you want. They're about the only 2 portable things in my system!

Larry

Thaks for the offer Larry, I think I will be set on the belt...but the power regenerator might be an interesting item to play with. I ran two dedicated circuits for my room when I built it but I still get a little noise from time to time.