Potential Basis 1400 Deal, What You All Think?

rplace

Greetings to all. Sorry I have been AWOL from here for about 6 months (work and a few other pressing issues - luckily none health related). I have done a few drive-bys here recently but have not had enough time to stop and chat until now.

Rich, please don't think you are 'settling' for the 1400. I think it's an excellent deal and you won't be disappointed. I am the one who got Joe's 1400 a few years ago, and I am still in love with it. Joe recalls correctly. He sold me a clear 1400 with a Rega 300, upgraded with the incognito wiring, and a Grado Refence Sonata cart. While it is not on the level with Gary's, it's a fantastic table for the money. On top of that, it is just beautiful. Someday, and with enough scratch, I would love to upgrade the arm to a Vector 3, but I have 2 teenage girls, and college is looming in the not too distant future. As such, my audio pursuits are taking a back seat to more important preps (please forgive me for saying that).

If you haven't already done the deal, go for it.

On another note, I hope everyone had a good holiday season. Things have calmed down for me a bit, and I expect to be able to hang out here more often and join in the fun. It'll take me a while to catch up on what's been happening around here, but I will enjoy doing so.

Chuck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to hear from you Chuck! I hope your holidays were pleasant and your family is doing well.

I was talking to Rich the other day and both of us recalled the day we drove to Joe's house to buy a pair of Belles from him. At that time, if I remember correctly, he had VRDs, Khorns and the Basis 1400 set up in his family room/kitchen and even though one corner was open, the system sounded fantastic. I also recall Joe stating that "maybe you guys have better hearing than I do, but I can't tell the difference between my 1400 with the Rega 300 and Grado Sonata and Gary's 2001 with Vector and Transfiguration Temper." Now remember that was early on in Joe's audiophile life and he has since gone through a boatload of high-end gear. I believe a person can become better at recognizing differences in gear with experience.

One other forum member I know of has a 1400 and it would be nice to hear his opinion. Larry and I helped with this purchase and I sold Tom (Pirhana) the Shure V15 that he has mounted on the table (with a Rega 300???). Any comments Tom could add might be helpful also.

Don't be such a stranger Chuck!!

Well it is never a done deal till it is done, but I am meeting the Basis guy at some roadside diner aprox. half way for each of us tomorrow. Reminds me of the movie Hoffa. I feel like I am going to be sitting, sittting, sitting in my car waiting for the "meet up"[:D]

At any rate in just over 24 hours I should have the 1400 and be sheding a tear for my MMF-5 farewell [:'(]. For the money a used MMF costs I don't think you can beat it. I have been really happy with the table, it has seen a goldring, dynavector, Denon 103, Zu 103 and Zu 103R and done well with all of them. I still miss that Dynavector I sold to TigerWoodKHorns a while back form time to time. It does take a bit to get the arm/cart set up just right, but it rewards you when you get it dialed in.

The 1400 might not be the greatest table around, but I'm sure it will be a solid addition to my set up. I plan to sell the RB-300 arm and when that is done, I won't have but a couple of hunred invested in the 1400 beyond what I already have in gear. Heck I spent about $200 on LPs last week when Gary and others started that VanM thread. How can I not invest 200 in a Basis 1400, right?

Nice to see you back around Chuck! Best of luck with your non-audio projects.

So who needs a RB-300[;)]

Enjoy your trip, Rich. It will more than likely create a neat memory to go along with your Basis.

I still remember my little road trip when I picked up my Basis from Joe. I was able to time it with a work-related trip up to Indian Head, MD (previous job). I made it up to DC before 5 am and met Joe in the parking lot of his work as he was finishing up a night shift. Although I had never met him before, and being in an unfamilar area of DC in the early morning was a bit disconcerting, everything went very smoothly. I made it back to MD for my meetings (opposite traffic), and later that evening I was back home unpacking a beautiful turntable. It was a fun road trip, luckily coupled with work.

Gary - I'm glad to see you and Catherine are settling into the beach house (hope the belles come through).

Larry - Sounds very tempting. I'm still sorry I missed the last gathering. Unfortunately, that's about the same time frame as my daughter's band trip to Myrtle Beach, so I'm not too sure about getting a kitchen pass. I'll check into it, though, specifically when Wendy's in a really good mood.

The pros are he is close enough to drive. I don't have to mess around finding a buyer and packing up my MMF or any selling pitfalls. Finally, it is always cool to try new gear.

Not a lot of down side that I can see other then I have always sort of targeted a Basis 2001 or 2500 as my future table.

If you really want a Basis 2001 or 2500 then that is what you should buy if (and especially if) your budget allows. If you have the budget (or will have) for the table that you want you will dump teh extra cash into the 1400 over time.

I really wanted a Rega P25 and made a deal on a P25 with Michelle Tecnoarm and the douchebag backed out after I agreed to his full asking price. I bought a Rega P9 a few weeks later and am very happy. Had I bought the P25 I probably would have put more money upgrading than what the P9 cost. And yes the table did make a big difference in sound but I especially like that I do not want to upgrade this table at all.

The difference here is there are no major upgrade for the 1400. It has the same motor and platter as the 2001. The main difference is the feet. The 2001 has the 4 suspended "pods" while the 1400 has 3 stationary feet. It's not like VPI tables where you can buy 10K worth of upgrades and turn a Scout into a TNT.

Those must be SOME FEET!!!!! Retail price difference was something like FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!! The main difference was the FEET?!?!?!?!?!?!? Let's have a reality check here fellas. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Well it is never a done deal till it is done, but I am meeting the Basis guy at some roadside diner aprox. half way for each of us tomorrow. Reminds me of the movie Hoffa. I feel like I am going to be sitting, sittting, sitting in my car waiting for the "meet up"Big Smile

At any rate in just over 24 hours I should have the 1400 and be sheding a tear for my MMF-5 farewell [:'(]. For the money a used MMF costs I don't think you can beat it. I have been really happy with the table, it has seen a goldring, dynavector, Denon 103, Zu 103 and Zu 103R and done well with all of them. I still miss that Dynavector I sold to TigerWoodKHorns a while back form time to time. It does take a bit to get the arm/cart set up just right, but it rewards you when you get it dialed in.

The 1400 might not be the greatest table around, but I'm sure it will be a solid addition to my set up. I plan to sell the RB-300 arm and when that is done, I won't have but a couple of hunred invested in the 1400 beyond what I already have in gear. Heck I spent about $200 on LPs last week when Gary and others started that VanM thread. How can I not invest 200 in a Basis 1400, right?

Nice to see you back around Chuck! Best of luck with your non-audio projects.

So who needs a RB-300Wink

No need to agonize over it you got a heck of a good deal. The 2001 feet are a total ripoff. I bet you will love it.

Those must be SOME FEET!!!!! Retail price difference was something like FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!! The main difference was the FEET?!?!?!?!?!?!? Let's have a reality check here fellas. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

You have no idea what you are talking about.

I hate the thought of being bated by this guy, but I just about spit my coffee all over my monitor reading this. What a joke! Sure glad he's around to bring us to our senses. I can't imagine he will be around for long.

Rich, I've owned a 1400 for about two or three years now and though I always wanted a 2001 or 2200, the 1400 has kept me very happy. In fact, I don't even think I want to upgrade right now because I have two young ones bouncing around the house. I know it may not be important to some of you guys, but my 1400 plays stable with no skips or jumps (and I mean none whatsoever) when my two kids are dancing (more like bouncing and jumping) right beside it. I don't think I've ever had a table that was so stable. I recently added a new Zu 103R and counterweight to my RB250 and it's like I have a whole new system. I think it will tie me over for a long time. The right Vector might make me jump though.

One thing I would carefully check over before you purchase the table is the motor and bearings. My motor has had what I think is a bearing problem since I purchased it unseen. The motor spindle is quite noisy when powered up; however, even just a small amount of pressure makes it go away. I can't bear to think how much it is going to cost to repair, so I live with it.

I think you will enjoy your purchase. Can't wait to hear your reviews!

-PB

One thing I would carefully check over before you purchase the table is the motor and bearings. My motor has had what I think is a bearing problem since I purchased it unseen. The motor spindle is quite noisy when powered up; however, even just a small amount of pressure makes it go away. I can't bear to think how much it is going to cost to repair, so I live with it.

PB, get in touch with AJ Conti, pres. of Basis, at BasisAudio@aol.com to ask what a new motor would cost. I don't think it's that prohibitive, but could be wrong.

Suspended tables like the 2001 and 2200 easily bounce around with vibration, footfalls, dancing, etc., so you're ahead with the 1400. I had to mount my suspended Basis on a wall rack to keep it from jumping grooves.

Well it was a cold exchange at 8 degrees, but *my* 1400 is safe and warm at home now. Got a quick question. Which side of the platter goes up? On side is perfectly flat the other has a slight bevel on the outer edge and a recessed area about 2 inches around the center.It is about the same size as the clamp. I would guess the perfectly flat side but got to second guessing myself.

So what gives?

Rich -

Glad to hear you are both home safe and sound. Other than the cold, I hope your trip was an uneventful one. Can't wait to hear your review. As Gary said, the bevel side goes up. As I understand, this is for the slightly thicker outer edge of the LP so it will lay flat.

Looks like we've got another one in the club.

Chuck

My brief, initial impression is that the sound stage it quite a bit bigger, the detail and clarity and seem a bit more pronounced and the base while a bit less seems a bit tighter or faster for lack of a better description. All in all I am quite happy. I do need a bigger location for it. The motor is almost falling off the shelf. Soooooo, one purchase drives another.

It surely is worth what I have in it with out a doubt. Now if you were buy new at MSRP I might give pause at 500-600 versus 2K or so. Better yes…3X-4X the jury is still out. Bummer I won’t have much time this weekend to play.

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When something costs 3 times or 4 times or 5 times or 6 times or whatever times more money, that does not translate to it sounding 3 times or 4 times or 5 times or 6 times or whatever times better. (This is Robins Audio Law 16.)

You did good. All you have to do now is play fine music on it. If you play crap on it, what is the point? There isn't any.

My brief, initial impression is that the sound stage it quite a bit bigger, the detail and clarity and seem a bit more pronounced and the base while a bit less seems a bit tighter or faster for lack of a better description. All in all I am quite happy. I do need a bigger location for it. The motor is almost falling off the shelf. Soooooo, one purchase drives another.

It surely is worth what I have in it with out a doubt. Now if you were buy new at MSRP I might give pause at 500-600 versus 2K or so. Better yes…3X-4X the jury is still out. Bummer I won’t have much time this weekend to play.

Is this with the RB300 or the other arm that you have?

If you are hearing as much as you report it was worth the upgrade. Enjoy.