combining THX and non-THX certified speakers and power handling.

ncc

Hi, I am upgrading my systems to 7.1 and i have a general question regarding speakers. (this used to be a lot easier :-) )

The receiver I am now using is an SC07 Elite. The power output is 140 w/channel. I'm now phasing in the speakers. I purchased an RC-64 for the center channel which states 200W continous and 800W peak. For the fronts, I just purchased KL-525-THX which have a 100W / 400W rating.

So here are the questions:(1) Will I have issues using the KL-525-THXs with the receiver power wise? (2) Are the THX and RCs going to complement each other? (3) Peak is usually rated at 2x continous. Klipsch seems to use a factor of 4. Anyone know the story here?

Thanks for any responce.....

To elabortae on wuzzzers response a little.

People seem to say around 200W for the THX speakers, but that is mainly for more headroom. The speakers have very dynamic capapbilites and thus can go from quite to loud easily with the propper wattage.

You want timbre matched speakers across your front. This allows smooth transition of sound from L to C to R, and anywhere inbetween. Otherwise panning sounds may get colored because you center channel uses different components.

First off, your using the 525's...As the smaller of the two LCR speakers
in the Ultra2 family, the highly efficient KL-525-THX features a sealed
enclosure, top-of-the-line internal wiring, dual 5.25-inch
Cerametallic™ woofers and a 1-inch titanium diaphragm compression
driver coupled to a 6- by 10-inch Tractrix® Horn. Add to that your only using 2 of them when you really need three.

These are usually the REARS in a 7.1 system or a smaller version of the 650's below:

As the larger of the two LCR speakers
in the Ultra2 family, the KL-650-THX features a front-firing port for
low bass extension, dual 6.5-inch Cerametallic™ woofers and a new 6- by
10-inch Tractrix® Horn Tweeter. The tweeter driver is a 1-inch
titanium-dome compression unit designed specifically for use with horns
to provide high output with low distortion. The clarity and distinction
of this LCR can also be attributed to its top-of-the-line internal
wiring.

Again these are supposed to be LCR mening Left, CENTER, and Right up front.

Sure, you can use the RC-64, but it is not a exact match. We talk a lot about TIMBRE in here... a term used to mean the same, when say sound travels left, center, to right in tone on your home theater.... In your situation it will still be ok... but not perfect like the engineers at Klipsch or the recording process intended it to be too. And your looking at power handling and not efficiency? How many db at one watt and what drivers are used is more important in this case to set it up your house...

BTW, the KS-525 surrounds are fantastic, and get one or two of the KW 120 THX subs with the KA-1000 amp too, but I am ahead of myself. soooo......

So on to your questions:

Hi, I am upgrading my systems to 7.1 and i have a general question regarding speakers. (this used to be a lot easier :-) )

Yes it did... Let alone connection issues..LOL

The receiver I am now using is an SC07 Elite. The power output is 140 w/channel. I'm now phasing in the speakers. I purchased an RC-64 for the center channel which states 200W continous and 800W peak. For the fronts, I just purchased KL-525-THX which have a 100W / 400W rating.

Good choice up front. You might need one more for the center, explained above!

So here are the questions:(1) Will I have issues using the KL-525-THXs with the receiver power wise?

NO, You will be fine...

(2) Are the THX and RCs going to complement each other?

Not as good as another KL-525. Seriously Consider this as my biggest helpful suggestion to you.. Get the three up front the same!

(3) Peak is usually rated at 2x continous. Klipsch seems to use a factor of 4. Anyone know the story here?

Do not worry about it..You will be fine. Most in here seem to feel at least 200 WPC is a good start for home theater.... and your looking at headroom too really for dynamic peaks. That said You are using the Pioneer Elite. So the receiver you have is very very nice and will work WONDERFUL with Klipsch. Ask PICKY in here...HE uses Pioneer Elite, and I have heard it too with Klipsch.. very very nice!! (The specs are conservitive with the Elite line.) It will be great!!!!

Your looking at going 7.1 why not get the whole deal??

3- KL 650's Fronts

2-KS 525's Sides

2- KL 525's Backs

KA 1000 amp and 1-2 Subs KW 120's This is the whole THX system.

post-5910-13819436892612_thumb.jpg

BTW, welcome to the forum... this is your first post, and were NOT trying to beat up on you...

Were trying to help!

There is lot's to plan and the Pioneer is a great start. With also getting the speakers right... you will enjoy your system for YEARS to come..

BUT.....mis matching it, will lead to some regret and always chasing the wrong things in answer to your situation.

Get it right the first time. Enjoy it for a lifetime.. OK, at least for the next 3-5 years LOL. Till we have yet another format? LOL And that does not mean changing your speakers..LOL.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Roger

Thanks all. I did not think I would have the (physical) space for the KL-525-THX in the center, hence the RC-64. I had no idea the RC was so hugh and heavy. :-) My flat panel is mounted inside a cabinet, though it ia actually inb front of the wall, on an accordian bracket, I 'suppose I could put it the center behind the screen, however, I have found the that gives a too boomy sound from being in that 'open box' of the wall cabinet....

The KS is already in the plans. :-) Just need to wait a bit. Maybe the 650s at some point. Still want to hear the RC with the KLs since i already bought it,

First off, your using the 525's...As the smaller of the two LCR speakers in the Ultra2 family, the highly efficient KL-525-THX features a sealed enclosure, top-of-the-line internal wiring, dual 5.25-inch Cerametallic™ woofers and a 1-inch titanium diaphragm compression driver coupled to a 6- by 10-inch Tractrix® Horn. Add to that your only using 2 of them when you really need three.

These are usually the REARS in a 7.1 system or a smaller version of the 650's below:

As the larger of the two LCR speakers in the Ultra2 family, the KL-650-THX features a front-firing port for low bass extension, dual 6.5-inch Cerametallic™ woofers and a new 6- by 10-inch Tractrix® Horn Tweeter. The tweeter driver is a 1-inch titanium-dome compression unit designed specifically for use with horns to provide high output with low distortion. The clarity and distinction of this LCR can also be attributed to its top-of-the-line internal wiring.

Again these are supposed to be LCR mening Left, CENTER, and Right up front.

Sure, you can use the RC-64, but it is not a exact match. We talk a lot about TIMBRE in here... a term used to mean the same, when say sound travels left, center, to right in tone on your home theater.... In your situation it will still be ok... but not perfect like the engineers at Klipsch or the recording process intended it to be too. And your looking at power handling and not efficiency? How many db at one watt and what drivers are used is more important in this case to set it up your house...

BTW, the KS-525 surrounds are fantastic, and get one or two of the KW 120 THX subs with the KA-1000 amp too, but I am ahead of myself. soooo......

So on to your questions:

Yes it did... Let alone connection issues..LOL

Good choice up front. You might need one more for the center, explained above!

So here are the questions:(1) Will I have issues using the KL-525-THXs with the receiver power wise?

NO, You will be fine...

(2) Are the THX and RCs going to complement each other?

Not as good as another KL-525. Seriously Consider this as my biggest helpful suggestion to you.. Get the three up front the same!

(3) Peak is usually rated at 2x continous. Klipsch seems to use a factor of 4. Anyone know the story here?

Do not worry about it..You will be fine. Most in here seem to feel at least 200 WPC is a good start for home theater.... and your looking at headroom too really for dynamic peaks. That said You are using the Pioneer Elite. So the receiver you have is very very nice and will work WONDERFUL with Klipsch. Ask PICKY in here...HE uses Pioneer Elite, and I have heard it too with Klipsch.. very very nice!! (The specs are conservitive with the Elite line.) It will be great!!!!

Your looking at going 7.1 why not get the whole deal??

3- KL 650's Fronts

2-KS 525's Sides

2- KL 525's Backs

KA 1000 amp and 1-2 Subs KW 120's This is the whole THX system.

This is good advice. [Y] Btw, Welcome to the Forum, ncc