My Bose Story...

Youthman

One interesting feature on Audioreview is the Rating Distribution, near the top right of the screen. It shows the proportion of ratings, from 1/5 to 5/5. La Scalas, for example, get only 4s and 5s, mostly 5s. The Bose stuff gets an equal number of 5s and 1s, with a fair number of 2s, 3s and 4s. Could this be an indication of uninformed listeners with strong opinions?

As for me, I mentioned to my family doctor (aren't doctors supposed to be smart?) that I had a Klipsch sound system. His response was that he'd never heard of Klipsch and were they as good as Bose?

Klipsch really needs to do some advertising. The only time I see any Klipsch on TV is in the background of one of the Future Shop ads, where a group of technophiles have a room full of electronic gear sold by Future Shop and some of the speakers near the back wall appear to be Reference units.

Well, I'm not going to his house to hear his Bose. No point, as my mom has the same ones, and I've heard them...... numerous times. But he is coming over on Saturday. He's following me to my sisters house to get a bed. I'll invite him in to hear a demo......... I'm thinking Hellboy 2 And Dark Knight. Both on Blu Ray of course...............

It just surprised me that someone that likes Klipsch Heritage would like Bose. To each his own I guess.

If you go back to the early 70s, The Bose 901s were very highly respected in the Hi-Fi Enthusiasts community, if not the purist Audiophile community. Truth be told, back then Bose was an engineering company, not a marketing company as is the case today. They were doing innovative things with sound regardless of buying into the gimicky features or not. Things like rear firing speakers, active equalizers and multiple small speakers we're all new and exciting ideas at the time. I always though the Bose 501 were great sounding and in 71 they were affordable for a college kid working part time. I had KLH 5s back then. Another MIT Massachusetts start-up, that used to make awesome audio equipment.

I believe the founder of Bose was an MIT acoustics engineer. So, someone, uninformed like us, and in love with the era could lump both Klipsch and Bose into the same grouping and not think much of it.

i have never heard any of the older bose considering i am only 19 but i do have to give bose a little credit... they have some of the best demos on their theater setups, ex lifestyle 28 and v20....whatever they have done on those demos makes them sound a lot better than they are...people come in to work everyday and tell me how much they love bose until i take them to show them the difference...when i go show the acousitmass series(which are the same speakers as the v20 and lifestyle) on a regular movie they usually arent as excited...then i crank up the klipsch on the same movie and receiver and they are in shock at the difference...its such a good feeling for someone to realize all the hype isnt what its cracked up to be

There are a few things you can do to embarass Bose at their own store. First play it at around 75 volume but goto the equalizer and put everything on flat. Do not V the EQ or anything. They sound terrible then. No more pizzazz.

There was a engineer, electrical that found out what sort of system I had. He heard it and still said his parents bose's system is amazing. He said they spent 5000 on theirs and I barely spent over 2500 for mine..... He was quoting things that I to could have quoted if I memorized the bose literature. He was like they have amazing EQing ability. I said very bluntly, why should you need to EQ so heavily if the speakers were built properly in the begining. He had no response to that. I asked them what revolutionary thing did bose make in the audio world. He said well the Acoustimass module, I said oh a 6th order bandpass, I'll pass. He had no idea what I was talking about. He did say my system was good but he was like in an act of trying to regain some composure for is bose, well the Klipsch are clearly overkill. I asked him do you like high performance cars? Yes, well they are obviously overkill too. I said you need power for control. I neglected to tell him that my system is the flagship of the reference line, maybe I should have told him that.

So he came over this morning, and I came out swinging! I put in the Dark Knight, turned the subs a little louder than usual, and let him hear a lil sumthin sumthin! We watched for about 45 mins, and after he had this dum founded look on his face, and said WOW, I didn't realize you could get sound like that at home. He also said that he has never heard detail like that before, or so much bass in a movie. I said nothing more than that's because you're used to your Bose setup..........

I figured he would try to "debate", etc. But he had obviously and easily accepted defeat. I noticed that during the "demo" he kept looking at the surrounds every time they would come into play..........

As posted above, 901's in the early to mid 70's were quite the system when paired with a Marantz receiver and turntable. Listened to a whole lot of Stones/Doors/Blue Oyster Cult/Hendrix/Cream etc in an elevated state of conciousness back then. Was my introduction to the world of music - through a friends older brother - and come to think of it, he probably got the unit through his military base. He also had a '69 Camaro 327 SS 4sp that was a ball to drive (till I wrecked it) - but I digress. Used to have my KLF-20's as part of a stand alone 2 channel system and Bose 201's in a surround setup. Eventually sold off the Bose and integrated the Klipsch into HT. Never looked back.